Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

Power Steering Reservoir Leak

My power steering reservoir seems to have a leak. There's wetness all around it, and even on top of the reservoir too, around that little hose that connects to it. I couldn't trace to where exactly it was leaking from. But there seems to be two O rings between the reservoir and the pump housing according to the parts diagram, which are my suspects. I didn't have a chance to take things apart more to have a better look.

So I wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this repair? Is my suspicion those O rings reasonable, since they're the only ones above the pump?

There was a recent thread about changing the power steering fluid, so I plan to do that, and replace the O rings while I'm there. I got the car two years ago, and the reservoir was empty. I filled it, and it's been OK since. The steering has been fine since I got the car.

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #2

I replaced the cap on mine a few months back - now dry as a bone. If that doesn't help then it's the o-rings.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I'm not sure about the leak, but you need to immediately clean up the power steering fluid and check all of the coolant hoses in the surrounding area. Porsche issued a TSB (grp1 2/97) that coolant hoses that come in contact with PS fluid should be cleaned immediately or replaced.

Quote:
Cooling Hose Precautions

Damage to coolant hoses from contact with “Pentosin” oil.

Coolant hoses must not come in contact with “Pentosin” oil used in the power steering system. “Pentosin” oil can cause swelling of the coolant hose and reduce the hose strength.

Whenever “Pentosin” fluid is added, care must be taken not to spill the fluid on the coolant hoses. If the coolant hoses come in contact with “Pentosin”, the hoses must be washed off with water immediately. If the hoses are swollen due to contact with “Pentosin”, they must be replaced.

When checking or adding “Pentosin” fluid to the power steering system, proceed as outlined in the Boxster Technical Manual, Group 0, Entire Vehicle, Page 03 - 3. Otherwise the possibility exists of over- filling, which could cause “Pentosin” fluid to be spilled on the coolant hoses.

Last edited by rick3000; 08-10-2015 at 09:51 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote