986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ward family files wrongful death lawsuit vs. Tony Stewart (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58228)

Timco 08-07-2015 04:02 PM

Ward family files wrongful death lawsuit vs. Tony Stewart

LOWVILLE, N.Y. -- The family of Kevin Ward Jr. filed a wrongful death lawsuit Friday against NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Tony Stewart, nearly a year after Stewart's sprint car struck and killed the 20-year-old driver under caution during a race at an upstate New York dirt track.

The Ward family filed the lawsuit in Lewis County Supreme Court, which covers the Ward home in Port Leyden and is about 175 miles northeast of Watkins Glen International, where Stewart practiced Friday in preparation for the Sprint Cup Series race Sunday.

"Our son was truly the light of our lives and we miss him terribly every day," Ward's parents said in a statement. "Our hope is that this lawsuit will hold Tony Stewart responsible for killing our son and show him there are real consequences when someone recklessly takes another person's life."

thstone 08-07-2015 04:12 PM

About as surprising as a Boxster water pump failure. You knew it was coming, just not sure when.

steved0x 08-07-2015 04:34 PM

"Our hope is that we can get a payout from Tony Stewart and capitalize on this tragedy while not accepting our son's responsibility in the incident."

Tragic that a life was lost but these types of lawsuit irritate me.

Timco 08-07-2015 04:52 PM

They'll get run over in court. Kid was stoned, ran onto a live track.

Pro tip. Don't run into traffic.

Simon Tibbett 08-07-2015 05:28 PM

Pretty sad for Stewart I'm sure he pays for it in his mind daily. Nasty of the family though they're definitely trying to make some money from their son's death.

Giller 08-07-2015 05:48 PM

I don't get the timeframe. Nearly a year after his death? Why did it take so long?

JayG 08-07-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 460540)
I don't get the timeframe. Nearly a year after his death? Why did it take so long?

Ambulance chasing lawyers all competing for a piece of the pie
The family had to figure out who would give them the best deal

EJ-Fresno 08-07-2015 06:13 PM

Yes, the kid is out of his mind walking towards the cars driving... :(

JayG 08-07-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 460546)
Yes, the kid is out of his mind walking towards the cars driving... :(

Yes, a dumb ass move.
Anyone with any track time knows you don't walk around on a hot track

Frodo 08-07-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 460535)
"Our hope is that we can get a payout from Tony Stewart and capitalize on this tragedy while not accepting our son's responsibility in the incident."

Tragic that a life was lost but these types of lawsuit irritate me.

Agreed.

Seems like a classic Assumption of Risk situation to me...do something incredibly stupid and dangerous, be prepared to pay the price...and don't expect to hold someone else accountable. Don't get me wrong...I DO feel bad for Kevin Ward and his surviving family...surviving the impulsiveness and recklessness of youth is definitely not a given. I did, but that wasn't a given either---there were times I cut it very close, and there were times I was downright lucky. Some of you may well fall into that category as well.

But, bottom line, this poor kid, a hothead at precisely the wrong time, had no one to blame but himself..

Timco 08-07-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 460549)
Yes, a dumb ass move.
Anyone with any track time knows you don't walk around on a hot track

Well, the pathologist report did mention he was stoned.....

Been there, did that, and it certainly impaired my judgment on more than one occasion.

tommy583 08-07-2015 07:02 PM

This happened at a track less than 50 miles from my house. Most people around here don't blame Tony. The kid was stoned and dodging cars on the track. Then again if the NASCAR guys didn't get out of their cars and throw helmets at each others cars every other week maybe this wouldn't have happened. It really does stink for the kids family and Tony. I'm sure he will settle out of court just like most rich people that get sued.

Timco 08-07-2015 07:30 PM

Toxicology reports revealed Kevin Ward Jr., was under the influence of marijuana on the night he was struck and killed by a sprint car driven by Tony Stewart, Ontario County (N.Y.) District Attorney Michael Tantillo said Wednesday.

DA: Kevin Ward Jr. was under the influence of marijuana

At a news conference to announce that a grand jury had declined to indict Stewart in Ward's death, Tantillo said the level of marijuana in Ward's system was high enough to impair judgment.

Later Wednesday, the Ward family indicated it was not satisfied with the decision to clear Stewart and said it will "pursue all remedies in fairness to Kevin."

Mr.JonathanLanda 08-08-2015 06:42 AM

1. As an attorney in the making. There's policies and laws that would categorize this as a racing incident.

2. Stewart can sue for defamation and damages (psychological, monetary, physical) because of the negligence of Ward.

Honestly intoxicated on weed and with cars can be pretty fun, but there's a time and place, def not at the race track.

Condolences to the fam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plus3db 08-08-2015 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.JonathanLanda (Post 460590)
1. As an attorney in the making. There's policies and laws that would categorize this as a racing incident.

2. Stewart can sue for defamation and damages (psychological, monetary, physically) because of the negligence of Ward.

Honestly intoxicated on weed and with cars can be pretty fun, but there's a time and place, def not at the race track.

Condolences to the fam

You haven't even started law school yet and you are already giving legal opinions???

Yea, real smart to drive a high performance car messed up on weed.
Do us a favor, try not to injure or kill anyone else when you wrap your cart around a telephone pole

Mr.JonathanLanda 08-08-2015 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plus3db (Post 460592)
You haven't even started law school yet and you are already giving legal opinions???

Do us a favor, try not to injure or kill anyone else when you wrap your cart around a telephone pole

I live with two attorneys [emoji182][emoji182]

I've driven cars you've dreamed of and not messed up on weed but highly motivated.

Bro, didn't you block me? Plz do

Timco 08-08-2015 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plus3db (Post 460592)

As the weed line of discussion is certainly relevant, I'll ask this.

How many here would refuse to drive your car:

A) After one beer / mixed drink / glass of wine

B) After two beers / mixed drinks / glasses of wine

Let's set aside the legality. I'm asking about impairment. "Messed up on weed" and "stoned" are really broad terms, and nobody says a person who has consumed alcohol as described above is "messed up on booze" or "drunk" or "hammered".

EJ-Fresno 08-08-2015 07:44 AM

You can drive your car (illegally of course) even if you had 2 beers as long as your judgement is not impaired.
Is it illegal to drive after smoking weed though?

JayG 08-08-2015 07:51 AM

In many states, its driving impaired. Doesn't matter of it is booze or drugs

Mr.JonathanLanda 08-08-2015 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 460608)
You can drive your car (illegally of course) even if you had 2 beers as long as your judgement is not impaired.
Is it illegal to drive after smoking weed though?

Yes it is,
It counts like an over the counter that impairs your driving.

Medicating Should be 2-3 hours before a drive.