Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

I'm finally getting a new soft top!

Tomorrow I'm getting a newer top frame and almost new aftermarket glass window canvas top!

Can't wait to get it installed and see what it's like to drop the top and not have to get out of the car and do a plastic window chop and then raise the top and not have to stop half way and make sure the top edges are inside the side channels where they belong.

I will also appreciate not having a hole directly above the center console that drips into the car every time it rains and drips on the resewn plastic window they didn't put in correctly.

I will post pics here when it's installed. Just couldn't wait to share my excitement with the forum. You're the only people who can truly appreciate what a great thing this is for a Boxster owner.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

Which top did you get (with a headliner)?

Are you planning on installing it yourself or have someone do it.

If you are going to do it yourself, make sure to get plenty of pictures as I would be interested in what issues arise.

I have an 01 and I am thinking about doing a glass window replacement.
emore93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

Is it the $500 one from eBay?? Please let us know, dying to change the color of mine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr.JonathanLanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #4

I'm getting something great for my boxster tomorrow too!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

The top was installed on the frame a while back and was removed from the car after it was totaled.

I have no idea what the brand of the top is, but I do know it's a glass window aftermarket unit and the frame is straight and in very good shape. I'm swapping other parts the guy needs for his car for this top and frame combo.

Installation should be six bolts and a half hour from what I researched online yesterday. I was not looking forward to replacing the canvas top on my existing frame and put it off for a number of years, so this is a good solution to move parts out of my garage I no longer need and replace the top with a quick change swap.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
It was my favorite 986 mod of all and you will love it!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I'm getting something great for my boxster tomorrow too!
Yes you are!!!!!!!!!!!! <---- Spoiler alert as to who I'm doing this swap with
Old 08-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

I hope I don't disappoint.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #9

Me too! :dance:
Old 08-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #10

Here it is!

Woody said it would only take 20 minutes to swap out, and about two hours later in the blazing Texas sun (96 degrees today!) we determined it would take longer than 20 minutes

The delays came with aligning the new top's bracket to get the three bolts per side in. If you do this top and frame swap, make a mental note before you remove your old frame as to where the bracket sits horizontally and vertically on the car in the body area where it bolts down. There's about a finger's width from the base to the bottom of the bracket... it does not sit directly on the rubber rain mat material.

You can't make it out in the pic but both sides of the car are covered with dried sweat. I messed up a fingernail and it bled a bit. I could swear I saw Woody crying at one point, but that might have been perspiration. So, it's safe to say that this little grocery store parking lot mod cost us blood, sweat and tears :ah:

This top has a headliner in it and is very quiet and a lot cooler than my factory top from 1997. It's pristine too. I swear it looks brand spanking new. And the other upside that Woody will read about here?

ONE OF MY ANNOYING SQUEAK/RATTLES BEHIND MY LEFT EAR IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must have been the top mechanism. Or, it's those banana shaped air dam thingies that hook to the clamshell arms that I've yet to put back on. Either way, it's gone and I'm as happy as I have been in a long time with my Boxster.
Attached Images

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-05-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Nice job. It makes the car feel like a newer and better quality vehicle doesn't it? Now you are wondering why you put up with a view through a semi-transparent shower curtain for so long.

I swapped an 04 top and frame onto mine and it is a great mod. Unfortunately the fabric on my top is not as pristine as yours and I may be replacing it in the near future. Did you have any issues with the clam shell closing completely when the top was in the open position? Did raising the bottom of the bracket fix it.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #12

So a straight swap no cash? If so then the sweat and blood was definitely a good trade off.
Weird month to pick for a Texas parking lot job though!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #13

Even though things didn't go to plan, I still had fun helping out. Now Randall and I are "Sweat Brothers". Like I tell a lot of people, I'm an expert at taking these things apart, but not so good at putting them back. I had done one install by myself before with a plastic window top. It's a lot easier when you can fold that last part up and out of the way. Tomorrow another member is coming over to my shop so we can swap out his convertible transmissions.
I'm sooo glad you're happy because I know I'm happy with the coil overs! I can't wait to install them. I also got a gift from Steveox today too. We did a partial trade for a wevo motor mount. It's been a great day for me!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #14

KevinH: I have yet to fiddle with the adjustments. Woody and I closed the roof and it all buttoned up nicely and that's where I left it until I have some time to operate it a few times and figure out what needs adjusting. Hopefully not much!

As Woody commented though, the Bentley repair manual has a nice pictorial write up on how to adjust the top and clamshell.