Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

A good saturday, both Porsche and non-Porsche related

I've had a pretty good Saturday, Porsche- and non-Porsche wise.

First off, a buddy and I attended John Walker's Swap Meet this morning. (John Walker's Workshop is a longtime aircooled Porsche shop here in North Seattle.)

(That's my car to the left of the old white Ford truck.)

I've never been, and assumed that it'd be mainly aircooled parts.

Mostly true, but there was a guy who was selling some 987/996 parts along with a few sets of wheels and tires.

My car clearly needs an alignment, as it's wearing the front tires unevenly (lots of wear on the inside):

(Yes, I know the undertray is trashed. It's on the punch list.)

This has been bugging the **** out of me, and so when I saw a set of near-new Conti SportContact3's I had to take a quick look. Fronts were the right size, but the rears were unfortunately not (255/35/18). Guy sees me looking, so I say, "Shame the rears aren't the right size--otherwise you'd have a buyer." He remarks that they are take offs with about 50 miles total on them, and that he doesn't have room for them at home...so why don't I do him a favor and take them for free?

Uh, what? Don't have to ask me twice. Only problem is they won't fit in the Boxster. My buddy's Allroad to the rescue! A prince of a guy, dirtying up his car like that.

So, I'm the owner of 4 new Contis:

But what to do with the two rears? I figured it'd be good karma to pay it forward, so I reached out to my buddy with an E46 ZHP and asked if he'd want them (they are the OEM rear tire size). "Hell yes!" I even threw in free delivery, at which point he invited me to a rooftop BBQ to watch the Blue Angels:

TL;DR: Went to a Porsche swap meet, paid $0.00 for 4 new Contis, gave two away, watched some jet planes and ate free meat burned on grill.

Then I returned home to find that both my new rear badge and passenger headrest windscreen had arrived. Woot.

Last edited by Nmbrsix; 08-02-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #2

Cool day. Much better than mine!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:10 AM   #3
Carnut

Now that is a great day!!!!! On so many levels!
Old 08-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #4

Nice! More than a good day! It's making me anxious to get to the Eureka Springs VW show later this month. There are always some Porsches there too... Mostly looking forward to the drive there through the winding mountains!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #5

VDUB show in Eureka would be great! Do you have the dates and location?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #6

Garage
That is a great day! Grilled meat, free stuff, cars and planes plus blue skies in Seattle no less, wow I hope there was some beer somewhere in there
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Interesting, I've been running 255/35/18s on mine for the past 2 years. Long story, got caught in a desert town with a scrapped tire. One tire shop. They saw me coming... They put these on and I never even noticed for some time! Duh.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #8

Seattle is in its second Summer of record heat. 40+ days in a row above 80 last year, and we set another record on Friday for most days above 90 degrees in a year. The top isn't down as much as I'd like it to be as the afternoon commute has been a bit toasty.

I'm sure losing 10mm of tread width wouldn't be noticeable on the street, but once I get the suspension refreshed this Winter I'd like to consider doing at least one auto-x and perhaps a DE day next year. If that comes to pass I want the right size tires.

Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote