Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
Rburro2

Garage
Clunking noise/Oil Leak

Ok, so when my Boxster is cold and I'm starting off from a start sometimes I can feel and hear a clunking noise coming from the engine compartment. I then have to feather the clutch a little for it to stop. When the engine is warm it doesn't seem to do this. Also I noticed after a decent drive when parked on an incline I get a little oil leakage, but not when parked on level ground or park on a decline. Any thoughts?

Old 07-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

Garage
I had a clunking sound that was eliminated with feathering the clutch pedal: it was clunking because the clutch was totally shot (and pressure plate) in addition to the front engine mount being worn (allowing the engine to clunk when loading the clutch).

As for the oil leaking...I think it is better left unsaid...
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Rburro2

Garage
I'm thinking it is the RMS leaking. Although it is very thin and almost seems watered down. It was mentioned to me maybe it's the water pump. It only leaks on an incline after a good drive. Declines, level or incline cold doesn't leak. Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #4

Garage
Is it brown? Does it look like coolant a bit? If it is indeed thin like water, it could be the water pump leaking into the plastic under carriage tray, and when on an incline, the water escapes its area that it is pooled in. The brown color could be the coolant mixing with the dirt and dust that accumulates in the undercarriage.

You could always put your tongue to it. If it tastes like poison, then it is probably coolant.

Alternatively, the brown color could be a far worse thing: the oil and coolant mixing, and THEN leaking out of the water pump. Take the lid off of the coolant tank in the trunk and send some picture of the liquid inside the tank.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
Rburro2

Garage
It smelled like oil not coolant. I will check it out tomorrow. Thank you.