Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #1

Trying to solve coolant issues

I just replaced my GAHH convertible top because the glass window fell out while I was at a friends house. While the car was sitting in the garage for the week waiting for the replacement I saw a couple streaks of yellowish fluid under the transmission plate on the garage floor.

I was thinking it was water pump replacement time but I have a couple weeks before finishing my degree, so I was going to replace it when I was done. After installing the new top I drove to school on the highway and when I parked and got out of my car I turn around to see coolant pouring out by the right rear tire under the car.

I had someone bring some distilled water and it lost less than I had expected. Just from the bottom of the trunk reservoir to the middle of the fill line. I thought I didn't tighten the cap when I topped it off a small amount the night before.

I filled it up and started it and saw nothing leaking. I drove home off of the highway and after about 20 minutes the coolant light came on with a slow flash for low fluid level. Temperature stayed between the 8 and 0. I got home and could hear the coolant gurgling or boiling and there was a small amount of steam coming out. The level was back to the bottom of the reservoir.

The cap was replaced with the new part probably 2 years ago but the car is on the original water pump and reservoir at 130,000 miles. I checked everything that I could get to and don't see anything cracked or leaking. Water pump and surrounding area was bone dry it and didn't make any strange noises. There was only a very small amount of coolant under the reservoir in the trunk which I assumed was just from when the water expanded over into the top of the trunk twice.

Last detail is that I did not bleed any air out of the system when I filled it up. I'm not sure if that could cause it to lose that much coolant twice. Here are some pictures but please let me know what you think is the cause.

BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

I see zero water under that tank or around that WP. I'll vote hose. You need to run the car while on jacks or with the inspection cover off from behind the seats and see where that water is coming from.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #3

Garage
Do your inspections for leaks while the car is nice and hot. If its a hose or a crack in the tank, you will (initially) only see leaking when the system is pressurized.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I've been siting here with the car running for about 45 minutes and drove it around the neighborhood to warm it up. I left the bleeder valve open but didn't notice anything from it. The fans on the radiators and engine bay have been cycling on and off and it has been up to temp for a while and nothing is happening. I noticed the drivers side fan didn't come on while the passenger side was on low speed. But they were both on when the fans were on high speed. Not sure if that's normal. I marked the coolant level a little bit after starting up and it's only moved maybe a couple millimeters. Hoses all look okay and dry from the engine bay side and in the trunk. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

I think I found it. This is a tiptronic btw.

The last picture is the part that I think is failing. Porsche 986 996 TIP transmission cooler control Valve.

The coolant was dripping from this part onto the transmission plate.

Does anyone have advice or a how to on replacing this?

I found one that lists some steps but I would like more detail if I can get it.

Question: Procedure to replace transmission cooler shut off valve on 1999 986 - Pelican Parts Technical BBS