Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #1

Aos?

2001S. 80k miles. Developed a P1128 and P1130 CEL code, couple days ago. Did some reading…possible AOS etiology. At idle, opened the oil fill cap…not hard to remove, but got an increased idle RPM, which then became “lopey.” As my kid said, sounded like I had a cam. Could hear some vacuum and, when I placed my hand over the funnel-like insert in the oil fill tube opening, could feel it as well. Yesterday (when the car was more warmed up) I did the same thing: got a greatly variable idle and could HEAR air rushing in. No excess smoke, ever.

AOS, open and shut case?

And, if “yes”, much as I’d like to work on this myself (NO time at present)…any problem with driving the car 20 miles or so to where I usually get servicing done?

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

It's due to be replaced as a preventative measure anyway. Go for it.

The rough idle with the oil cap off is completely normal, though. I'd be more inclined to suspect your MAF given the lack of smoke.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:41 AM   #3

Yeah, I figured the MAF should probably be cleaned at a minimum. I haven't checked my air filter for awhile---that probably needs to be done as well.

I also was pretty sure that, mileage-wise, this is about when the AOS tends to go and (despite the gorgeous Boxster-friendly weather we're finally getting in NE Ohio) was just worried about driving it with what I thought might be AOS-related signs.

I've had the oil fill cap off in the past (when idling). But I don't remember how much (if any) suction I heard/felt back when I'm sure the AOS was fine. Should there be some? A little? None? I'm assuming it's best not to push the AOS to the point where enough oil gets sucked into the intake to create the tell-tale sign of huge amounts of smoke coming out the back.

I wanted to re-read Jake's write-up on the different modes of failure of the AOS (smokey vs hydrolock, etc) but have had trouble finding it...
Old 07-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #4

When mine failed recently I could just barely remove the oil filler cap due to the suction.
'01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black, Litronics upgrade / de-ambered
crooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #5

Yeah, I'm guessin' it can fail by degrees.