Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

Dipstick broke

Well...after some searching of past posts, I guess I need to ask for some assistance.

The dipstick on my 98 Boxster was hanging up about 1" prior to being fully seated. Eventually the dipstick seated fully. Upon removing the dipstick for a 2nd check of the oil level, I discovered that I'm now missing the orange end cap and an unknown amount of metal from the dipstick...

I found one post that said the dipstick was 92cm in length - not sure if that included the yellow handle or not. I would like to confirm the length if someone has the time to measure from the start of the metal to the end of the orange plastic...2.5L engine if that makes a difference...

Looks like I'll be dropping the pan soon to hopefully find the broken piece...if it is lodged in the last part of the dipstick tube, then it will be a challenge to either get it dislodged or replace the lower section...hoping for an "easy" fix....

Thanks!

SpikeJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:37 AM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I would drop the pan immediately. you don't need hard stuff floating around in your oil. Get a new stick.
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #3

Absolutely - car is parked until I get this resolved...
Old 07-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeJr View Post
Well...after some searching of past posts, I guess I need to ask for some assistance.

The dipstick on my 98 Boxster was hanging up about 1" prior to being fully seated. Eventually the dipstick seated fully. Upon removing the dipstick for a 2nd check of the oil level, I discovered that I'm now missing the orange end cap and an unknown amount of metal from the dipstick...

I found one post that said the dipstick was 92cm in length - not sure if that included the yellow handle or not. I would like to confirm the length if someone has the time to measure from the start of the metal to the end of the orange plastic...2.5L engine if that makes a difference...

Thanks!
Dipstick is about 36-1/8" on my '98, not including handle.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #5

Check and see if the dipstick tube is also broken. It happens.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #6

Thanks for the measurement Spendy - looks like I have 27" of metal below the plastic...that's about 9" off the end that is stuck in the tube or slightly protruding into the pan...hopefully I'll be able to see the broken end when I drop the pan...not sure if I'll get to it before next week since I have some obligations...

I'll be sure to check out the dipstick tube as well...must have been a reason it was binding so perhaps the tube is cracked / broken...
Old 07-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #7

I have always been leery of the plastic end of the dipstick and wondered if it could get brittle and break off.

'01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black, Litronics upgrade / de-ambered
crooster is offline   Reply With Quote