Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 06:00 AM   #1

Top problem - yeah I know another one

Hey all!
I have a -97 and I have searched and googled, some points in the right way but not really.
Top is stuck in the up position and the top indicator is constantly on. Sure sounds like the micro switches, however the indicator for the e-brake comes on when the e-brake is pulled.
Because the top indicator is on, I would expect it to move, Even if the micro switch in the handle is bad, but nothing happens.
Sure the windows goes down, as supposed to. But clam shell doesn't move.

any suggestions?

niclas_swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #2

There are three microswitches for the top. One under the center hook, one in the handbrake area, and one at the back of the top storage area under the clamshell.

Unlatch the top and stick your finger up in the hole and see if the top light goes out. If that microswitch's flat metal actuator has been bent it may need more force to get it to function. Removing it and fiddling with it may fix it or it may need to be replaced.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick response
yano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #4

The indicator does not go out if I push in with either a pen or a finger.
But does that mirco switch disable the whole system?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:28 AM   #5

Problem solved!
It was the relay.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #6

Ok so I think I'm similar here. My top will go down but it stops four or five times so I release the button and press again and it continues Down. Then on the way up it stops about every two inches. Again I release the button and repress to get it to move. When in the up position, the top warning light stays on. The eBrake light comes on and goes off correctly. The windows drop down the two inches when the top latch is released.
Is it a motor problem or switch issue? It's killing me. I've got an airbag warning light for something loose with the turn signals; clicking noise when turning steering wheel, check engine light, engine running a bit hot, and now the problem with the top. My dash looks like Christmas lights. Appreciate the assist.

Last edited by John 2000 Boxster; 10-11-2015 at 01:58 PM.
John 2000 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote