Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

2002 Boxster coolant mystery...

I have a 2002 Boxster (non-S) and I have something of a mystery on my hands with the coolant system (I think).

Had it out for a drive, and stopped for a beverage. I was away from the car for maybe 3-5 minutes. And while driving, I don't think the red indicator light was blinking. When I came back out to the parking lot, there was a large puddle of coolant on the ground. I don't know if it had been leaking while driving up to the moment I parked it or not. Drove it 2-3 more blocks, then called for a tow. Another large puddle appeared while waiting.

When I got it home, I filled up with more coolant and distilled water, started it up and waited for it to get to normal operating temperature. I was watching for leaks the whole time while waiting, but none appeared. The temperature went up a bit more, then the red warning light started blinking. I shut it down, but I still never saw a leak. I know that the expansion tanks on these cars is known to get old and crack, but that does not seem to be the case, since I did not see any leaks.

Any guesses about what was happening?

Thanks in advance. You guys have saved me thousands of $$$ over the years.

Last edited by roland3337; 06-26-2015 at 02:11 PM.
roland3337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Water pump not circulating. Bubbles over.

Thermostat stuck closed.

Res tank crack, carpet wet in trunk.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

Bad radiator cap (not on the radiator of course)
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #4

I appreciate both responses. Thank you guys. I will check these things out. I am particularly suspicious of the radiator cap, since I think it is an older one, and I noticed some small white crystals left over from evaporated coolant.
roland3337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #5

I wouldn't rule the expansion tank out entirely - when mine went it didn't dump until I had shut the car down. Didn't see/hear anything until I turned it off in my garage and heard the car start peeing. No drips on my driveway or street.
Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Good luck!
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #6

ours was the thermo stat. same symptoms
100deltacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

I am gonna go with water pump/thermo. I went through a bad water pump a couple years ago and a leaking expend tank just last month and it looks like the first problem more than the second. However, it is super easy to pull up the carpet and board just to check, not to mention just buying a new cap and screwing it on. I am assuming you are on the wrong side of PA, but if you are near me, I am willing to help.

mump is offline   Reply With Quote