Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Public Poll: Have you serviced the IMSB?
Yes 60 58.82%
Nope! 25 24.51%
No because I have a dual row 96-99 15 14.71%
What is an IMS? 2 1.96%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

IMS: have you done it? (please make sticky)

I'd like to see how many 986forum/Pelican/etc. members have gone ahead and changed their IMSB proactively.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #2

Garage
I'm not replying because after my IMS went, PCNA replaced the engine, so technically it wasn't serviced, it was replaced, along with a new engine.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
I'm not replying because after my IMS went, PCNA replaced the engine, so technically it wasn't serviced, it was replaced, along with a new engine.
how long after the warranty expired did it let go?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

Bought mine about 20 months ago and had the IMS replaced shortly thereafter. I bought the car knowing I was going to do this and priced it into the purchase. Been sleeping well ever since.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

Garage
Had my IMS replaced about 6 weeks ago along with the clutch,clutch fork, flywheel, slave cylinder, rear main seal, water pump, thermostat and belt...
Hummer-addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #6

Garage
My 99 base had the original dual row IMSB but at less than 37,000 miles I elected to have the LN retrofit kit installed this spring, along with a new clutch and RMS. I am the second owner. The original owner had the car religiously serviced at the dealership where the car was purchased. He had never heard of the IMS issue, so he never wasted an ounce of energy worrying about it in the 15 years that he owned it. Ignorance is bliss! By car is beautiful and I plan on keeping it for many years as my weekend, summer toy. The work was pricey. Was it necessary? I will never know, but I do know that I enjoy the car much more now that it is done.
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilut2 View Post
My 99 base had the original dual row IMSB but at less than 37,000 miles I elected to have the LN retrofit kit installed this spring, along with a new clutch and RMS. I am the second owner. The original owner had the car religiously serviced at the dealership where the car was purchased. He had never heard of the IMS issue, so he never wasted an ounce of energy worrying about it in the 15 years that he owned it. Ignorance is bliss! By car is beautiful and I plan on keeping it for many years as my weekend, summer toy. The work was pricey. Was it necessary? I will never know, but I do know that I enjoy the car much more now that it is done.
Original waterpump? things that take down engines: original IMSB, AOS, coolant cap and wp. Being proactive is good in most cases.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Just had mine done.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #9

Changed mine but not proactively. My 2000 two row was beginning to fail, so I did a tear down.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I replied yes, but I'm actually a yes and no.
I did on my 01 while I had the engine out. It turned out to be a dual row already, but the grease was gone and the tube had rancid oil inside.
My '99 has over 140K miles and I don't have plans to change it, but may the next time the clutch is replaced (in a year or two).
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #11

Both my 99s have the original as far as I know. The daily driver just rolled 140,000 today and the recent service showed oil as clean as a whistle and spot-on durametric numbers. Nonetheless, I plan on changing it out before the end of the year just to remove one more possibility from the equation.
WP and AOS have already been replaced.

I had always planned to change the bearing in the weekender as soon as it needed a clutch. Clutch still holding strong.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #12

I too am a "yes and no." My 2003 S engine was replaced at 60,000 miles after failure due to another, non-IMSB issue. The new engine is a 2006, which has the non-replaceable (without removing the engine) IMS bearing. The car now has 96,000 miles.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #13

Had the DOF imsb done along with clutch right after getting the car a few weeks ago (along with brakes, ignition coils and aos). A couple days ago found an ln engineering imsr sticker inside the trunk hood. Sent it to ln to find out the the imsb had been replaced with the ln retro single row retrofit about 3.5 years ago. Turns out that they recommend replacing it every 4 years or 50k miles anyway so I would have had to do it next year (recommended) anyway. And since it needed a clutch anyhow I'm glad I did it.
Myoung73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:59 AM   #14

Garage
I have 3 months left on extended engine/trans-axle warranty so couldn't touch it.
Like so many, when clutch needs done. I'm at 78k miles but the clutch feels real strong.
I did just drop my sump plate to inspect and super clean so that is at least one good indicator
Still on original WP and AOS. I do have a new AOS in the Box so I'll probably do that very soon.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #15

Nope! was my choice. These cars are not retaining their enough for me to worry about it. They are just as valuable as parts cars, if you have the patience to disassemble the parts and move them. Mine is a tip also. No other scheduled maintenance to have done at the same time. Maybe the RMS, but that it.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #16

I got the IMS solution proactively when my car turned 10 years old in 2013.

I had a single row with a leaking RMS and I needed a new clutch anyways. The car only had 20k miles on it at the time, and the old one looked like new.
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
how long after the warranty expired did it let go?
The car had 52,800 miles on it. 2004 base Boxster. Bought used and just under the 10 year IMS cap from the lawsuit. PCNA covered 90% of the cost. The dealer I bought the car from covered the 10% plus a new clutch. He stood by the deal since I had only put 2700 miles on the car since I bought it.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #18

Garage
Nope! was my choice. These cars are not retaining their enough for me to worry about it. They are just as valuable as parts cars, if you have the patience to disassemble the parts and move them.

Everyone is entitled to their own perspective- that's what makes life interesting. I don't believe that a Porsche can be rationalized in cost of ownership and resale value, any more than a boat or airplane can. These machines are much more than transportation. Their value in ownership is measured in pure fun- no price tag can be placed on that. I can honestly say that my Boxster has improved my quality of life just by the smiles provided. My IMS bearing replacement was to ensure that there are many more smiles to come. Parting out my machine after an engine implosion would certainly be rain on my parade!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #19

Garage
sorry- cant figure out quote function

Last edited by pilut2; 06-23-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilut2 View Post
Nope! was my choice. These cars are not retaining their enough for me to worry about it. They are just as valuable as parts cars, if you have the patience to disassemble the parts and move them.

Everyone is entitled to their own perspective- that's what makes life interesting. I don't believe that a Porsche can be rationalized in cost of ownership and resale value, any more than a boat or airplane can. These machines are much more than transportation. Their value in ownership is measured in pure fun- no price tag can be placed on that. I can honestly say that my Boxster has improved my quality of life just by the smiles provided. My IMS bearing replacement was to ensure that there are many more smiles to come. Parting out my machine after an engine implosion would certainly be rain on my parade!
Let's not confuse what the objective is. The car is very fun to drive and it gets its legs stretched pretty good under my care. It's an 2002 YM that is showing its age and will cost more to keep running than I am generally willing to spend. I just cannot rationalizie the IMS upgrade when the 2009 and later model years are getting more practically priced. So from that perspective I am rolling the dice and hopefully I can get many more miles of fun before I upgrade.

Last edited by Muzzle of Bees; 06-23-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Muzzle of Bees is offline   Reply With Quote