986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can You Install Clear Late Model headlights In A 1997 Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57560)

Hummer-addict 06-11-2015 09:42 AM

Can You Install Clear Late Model headlights In A 1997 Boxster?

Title Says It All....I DO Not Like The Amber In My Headlights And Want To Buy Late model Headlights And Install Them...Are They Plug And Play Or Will I Be Opening Up Electric Nightmares...

j.fro 06-11-2015 09:48 AM

If by late model you mean anything up to 2004, the answer should be yes. There were two types of clear lights available, Litronics and regular halogen lights. If you go with Litronics, they should work but you won't have the self-leveling feature.

EJ-Fresno 06-11-2015 09:53 AM

What will be missing if one wants the self-leveling feature?

KRAM36 06-11-2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 453410)

These should help you.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55119-986-litronics-plug-play.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55840-can-you-endure-one-more-litronic-thread-me.html

You would want to look for someone selling all the needed parts, like this one.

http://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace/845405-early-996-986-litronic-headlights-and-headlight-washer-conversion-package.html

Burg Boxster 06-11-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 453410)

Errr ahhh the self levelling feature would be missing ;)

In reality, litronics will be a fantastic upgrade and self-level feature not missed...and definitely not so in terms of "the juice ain't worth the squeeze". To get the feature you would at least need to install addl wiring, the headlight angle level sensor, sensor arm and sensor bracket (at driver side rear suspension) - plus I think in the 9x6 series this is a separate litronics controller in the frunk.

Good luck :)

KRAM36 06-11-2015 10:45 AM

If you don't want the leveling feature, I would go with the GT Projector Headlight Retrofit Kit.

2004 Porsche Boxster S Convertible - Lights and Lenses - Page 4

RandallNeighbour 06-11-2015 11:36 AM

I have factory litronics in my 1997 with the wiring harness and NO SELF LEVELING.

The problem with the self-leveling according to my tech is that the sensor that is wired up to the control arm determining self leveling can break off. Not worth the effort to put it on IMO.

Retrofitting is probably a lot cheaper and the quality of light will be about the same if you don't get crappy components. Porsche's factory litronic projector lamps and housings and bulbs are top notch.

I love my no-amber litronics. They look great and I can see a country mile down the road at night. They're a zillion times brighter than stock halogens.

thstone 06-11-2015 12:17 PM

Don't forget that early 996 headlights will also fit the 986. Check the 996 forums to find a set for sale.

EJ-Fresno 06-11-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 453419)
If you don't want the leveling feature, I would go with the GT Projector Headlight Retrofit Kit.

2004 Porsche Boxster S Convertible - Lights and Lenses - Page 4

I thought about this...until I got to read the 24-page installation guide :(

CraigM 06-11-2015 01:27 PM

I'll just leave this here as food for thought...

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51810-our-amber-headlights-can-de-ambered.html

Edit to add: post 104 is how my original amber halogen headlights now look with GT Projectors and de-ambered. Total cost with stuff I had to buy (which you may have, i.e. a Dremel) was well under $600 total. Probably closer to $500. Just takes a few days off and on if you move slow like me.

KevinH1990 06-11-2015 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I retrofitted the automatic dynamic headlight beam adjustment feature. I'm not sure it was worth the extra effort over simply installing the high beam rotation feature. I'd like to see how it works in a car that had it as a factory option to be sure it is actually working correctly.

The high-beam rotation is well worth the extra effort.

I have some left over parts if you are considering this. I attached the instructions.

KRAM36 06-11-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 453425)
I thought about this...until I got to read the 24-page installation guide :(

I looked at page 24. What is it on that page that makes you not want them?

EJ-Fresno 06-11-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 453452)
I looked at page 24. What is it on that page that makes you not want them?

Not page 24 itself, it's the whole guide which is scary...to me at least:(

BruceH 06-12-2015 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 453463)
Not page 24 itself, it's the whole guide which is scary...to me at least:(

Send them to Particlewave(Charles). I did and couldn't be happier. I was able to find a set of new clear halogens, get the HID projectors, send it all to Charles for installation and then ship the final product to me all for about the price of used litronics. The trouble with used Litronics is finding a set where the lens are not yellowed or cloudy. Mine are crystal clear since they are new. Of course if you do find a cloudy set, Charles can help with that too.;)

Hummer-addict 06-12-2015 06:27 AM

Thanks for the help guys... Would these work? Porsche Boxster Headlight Assembly w Clear Turn Signal Lenses L R New NS | eBay

BruceH 06-12-2015 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummer-addict (Post 453499)

Yes, those will work. My understanding is that Automotive Lighting was the OEM vendor. I bought Bosch lights from here, but they were $400 per side when I bought them.

Left Porsche Boxster Headlight Assembly Bosch 0302473043 | eBay

I looked at buying used but the weathered lens that was typical of used pushed me to spend the extra for new. Still happy with that descision. You can always try to sell your current lights to lower the net cost.

Hummer-addict 06-12-2015 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceH (Post 453506)
Yes, those will work. My understanding is that Automotive Lighting was the OEM vendor. I bought Bosch lights from here, but they were $400 per side when I bought them.

Left Porsche Boxster Headlight Assembly Bosch 0302473043 | eBay

I looked at buying used but the weathered lens that was typical of used pushed me to spend the extra for new. Still happy with that descision. You can always try to sell your current lights to lower the net cost.

Thank you!:cheers: I just offered $600 for a used set here with slight damage...if he declines I'll buy these...and yes I will sell my OEM ones...they are in great shape!:)

ilikeching 06-12-2015 11:59 AM

You can try this:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51810-our-amber-headlights-can-de-ambered.html

KRAM36 06-12-2015 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceH (Post 453493)
Send them to Particlewave(Charles). I did and couldn't be happier. I was able to find a set of new clear halogens, get the HID projectors, send it all to Charles for installation and then ship the final product to me all for about the price of used litronics. The trouble with used Litronics is finding a set where the lens are not yellowed or cloudy. Mine are crystal clear since they are new. Of course if you do find a cloudy set, Charles can help with that too.;)

I had Charles do mine too. I visited him in person when he did mine, he didn't seem too enthused to do more, but make it worth his time and he might do it.

Hummer-addict 06-12-2015 02:31 PM

I bought new ones on eBay today... With new oem corners for under $1100...hoping to get $600ish for my OEM Ones...they r in great shap...:) I want to thank everyone for thier advice!:cheers: