Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
I'm building a new garage

Planning on a 2 story with a second floor dedicated to woodworking, glass working, crafts and electronics, first floor automotive / machining. Maximum footprint 30X40. Looking for your experience on what you've done and would do differently. Will definitely have a lift, planning on 10 ft ceilings on first floor, and large walk out deck on second floor. Cost a secondary consideration. Suggestions?

Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #2

I have a metal 24x30 shop that I put up mostly by myself. I wish it was taller and insulated. It gets hotter than sh#t quick and a sprinkle sounds like a thunderstorm. Everybody told me not to use the rollout insulation they try and sell you with the building. One day I plan on getting foam insulation sprayed on it.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #3

Go to GarageJournal.com and spend some time there. Best site on the web for garages, tools, electrical, heat/a/c, flooring, etc.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #4

I would go 12' for ceiling height. You will have more lift options than at 10'. Also build it to your max dimensions now or you will regret it later. If you can clear span without beams and or posts that's a plus as well. More lights are better than not enough and the new led fixtures are cheap to run. Have fun!
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

This is how much room you'll have with ten foot ceilings. I'm 5'10 and I have just enough room to work on most cars. Not so much with trucks though

Another option are shipping containers. Being so close to a port, you can get them real cheap. They're air tight and you can make them pretty secure with a padlock cover. I painted mine to match my building.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #6

Being in Houston you better plan on AC and possibly heat. I went with a 2 ton Mitsubishi mini-split which has 20 SEER and is whisper quiet. Plan on the air compressor being outside in a room or inside in a room for noise suppression. Plan all your airline and electrical drops and then double that number ! Insulate to the max including the garage door. Plan for a lift for the concrete floor pour. LED lighting is very energy efficient and prices are coming down every month. If you are going with a floor finish regardless if it is tiles,paint,stain,clear coat whatever do it when the building is empty. What type of cabinets and workbench you going with ? Good luck and have fun with it.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

I put up a 30' x 40' all steel shop. It has two 10' roll up doors and a walk in. I have a two post 4 point Bend Pack lift that has 7' of clearance under it when raised and will hold 9000 lbs. It is 15.5' at the peak and 12.5" at the edges. I used all steel due to living in Florida. There are 2 types of people, those who have termites and those who do not know they have termites. I used double 4" tubes to span the building from floor to roof to floor and welded them all. I also used galvanized bottoms all of the way around the building so that I could wash out the building and not have to worry about the base rusting. It has stood for 15 years with no problems except one. I eventually found that I didn't have enough room and added a second floor on about 1/4 of the building to give me storage up above that I can still stand in. My advice would be to at least insulate the roof.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #8

Garage
I went 12' ceiling so lifts can go all the way up...also put extra cement for lifts...congrats...my garage is my favorite room in the house!

Hummer-addict is offline   Reply With Quote