Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

Rear speaker shelf wire disconnect (for air filter change)

I am attempting to remove the rear speaker compartment, as well as the carpet piece and the engine cover so I can inspect my air filter. We have had a rather intense pollen season and I suspect that the filter is in need of replacement. I was hoping to do a quick removal and inspection of the filter this evening so I could pick up a new one and replace if need be over the weekend.

I followed some instructions from the Pelican Parts website (as well as a video I found) which is great up to the point where I need to disconnect the rear speaker shelf (which is not part of the Pelican Parts instructions nor the video I found).

I can see the clip where the speaker wire attaches but not certain how to get it to disconnect and I do not want to break it.

Anyone have suggestions, pictures or a video link that shows this part of the process?

soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

Mine is an aftermarket kit, so it may be different from what is in your car. It consists of a two-piece plug. One part is attached to the compartment and the other is attached to the roll bar on the passenger side.

To detach mine, I squeeze on two short levers on the outer plug. This allows the inner part to slide out.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #3

I have the Bose rear speaker kit...
Old 06-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Registered Boxster abuser

I don't understand why people do not post pictures of their issues here, can you post a picture of the plug?

Im sure people would jump in as soon as they saw it
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #5

I will try and post a picture but part of the issue is I was not entirely sure what I was looking for ...
Old 06-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1966 View Post
I have the Bose rear speaker kit...
No need. I have the Bose unit. On passenger side at rear of base of roll bar there is a pinch type quick disconnect. Follow the wires from the speak cabinet. It's there. Plugs right in. Very handy.

Pinch the outer edges / the sides of the speak box side, Then wiggle.

Last edited by Timco; 06-13-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
No need. I have the Bose unit. On passenger side at rear of base of roll bar there is a pinch type quick disconnect. Follow the wires from the speak cabinet. It's there. Plugs right in. Very handy.

Pinch the outer edges / the sides of the speak box side, Then wiggle.

Cool beans!

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote