Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

The new Miata: anyone considering trading their Boxster in for it?

Lots of reviews here: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=567173&highlight=reviews

Pros:

- 0-60 in 5.8 seconds (can vary depending on the magazine that test drove it)
- I like the exterior (looks more aggressive and sleek)
- Light (~2,300 lbs)
- Warranty (always nice to have)
- Cheap to maintain
- No-hassle soft-top (one pull with arm gets it up and down while driving - less parts to break down compared to a powered top like the Boxster's)

Cons:

It's not a Porsche
Probably less roomy than the Boxster
Only one trunk
No glovebox
4 cylinder, less hp/torque but weighs less

Last edited by new2bxstr; 06-08-2015 at 12:34 PM.
new2bxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #2

For me the only real difference is the exterior. Hell of an upgrade from the bathtub design. Is that enough to make me want to switch? Not a chance

And in reality I'd get next to nothing on a trade-in
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

I will say this: Just the fact that it has a simple manual convertible top that takes one arm to open and close will attract some Boxster owners who aren't Porschephiles. If you've ever had to pay for convertible top repairs, they can be as costly as motor work on a Japanese car.

There's something to be said for simplicity and Japanese engineering.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #4

I have already checked to see if the local dealer had received any yet...

I test drove an NC miata before buying my boxster and it was decent but the interior felt really cheap (even compared to a boxster) and the 4 cylinder was nothing to write home about. I was not really considering a miata but thought what could it hurt to drive one. The newer model is certainly better looking and I applaud mazda for having the car lose weight and size and wish porsche had done the same with the 981 or at least brought to market the "baby boxster" that was rumored. I do wish they would give the car a small power boost of a factory turbo option again as it seems it has not really gained any in years. I think it would be a bit unfair to compare the car to a ~20 year old design in most respects but I would like to check one out when they finally become available around here.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #5

Looks are very subjective of course. IMO, the Boxster (and Porsches in general) are one of the nicest looking cars on the road. They turn heads. The Miata is not a head turner. Plus the mid-engine design provides fantastic balance and cornering, even for an everyday driver like myself.
And then of course, there's the power! The extra weight of the boxster is nothing. The Miata has to be light...the engine is tiny.

Frankly, I think the Miata is trying to look like the Z4 with the long hood and small rear. Just not my cup of tea.

There's a reason the Boxster is $50,000 more, and it's not just because of the crest on the front.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #6

Garage
Yes! Can't wait! And I'll be turning in my Man-card too!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #7

I don't understand the MPG of the new Miata. It gets 22/28. It weighs 400 lbs less and has 100 less HP...why does my 15 year old Boxster get about 20/28 (if driven nicely)?

If my Boxster totaled tomorrow I would definitely test drive the new Miata with an open-mind. But it would take a lot to sway me from a Cayman.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
I have driven earlier MX5s and this new one just looks brilliant. Do I want to sell my 09 Cayman and buy one? Nope. I respect the Miata but appreciate the difference between Porsche and Mazda.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

Because EPA mileage has little to do with actual mileage and is only a basis for comparing cars.

I had two NA Miatas over the years and loved them both. They are way less roomy than a boxster, no frunk at all and the trunk which is already much smaller also houses the spare.

Loved the simple top. When they came out with the NC I had no interest at all. Bloated the original car way too much and it was ugly IMO.

The original NA was designed to be an every day version of what the British never managed to pull off, so the plastic bits inside were deliberate and acceptable. No one can argue that the Miata was a huge success.

Personally I like the lines of the new one quite a bit.

They're all cool cars. Buy what makes you happy.

As for my man card, the boxster shares the same "reputation" as the Miata for demographics. I've come to the conclusion that gay men just have good taste in cars.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #10
Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post

As for my man card, the boxster shares the same "reputation" as the Miata for demographics. I've come to the conclusion that gay men just have good taste in cars.
I actually had one guy ask me why I bought the girls Porsche. Now this was coming from a guy with no car at all. Now I have the girls Porsche and a Cayman S. As far as a miata I would never trade my girly car for a even more girly car IMO. I always grin when I see guys riding by with their heads sticking out above the roof line in a miata to funny
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
Brighton Boxster

Garage
Miata vs Boxster

I have a 2003 Miata in as new condition with new Bridgestone Potenza tires and only 15,000 kms total, which I have now owned for a full year (stored in winter) I was quite happy with its performance and handling - Until I got the 2003 Boxster S seven weeks ago ! Roadholding is surprisingly similar, but the extra 116 HP moves the Porsche in a much more exciting fashion.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #12

I've owned two NA Miatas. I bought them used, and they were a lot of fun for the money. The Miata is much easier to work on for those of us who turn their own wrenches. I changed the spark plugs in my Boxster 10 days ago and I kept thinking about how much easier that was in the Miata. Especially since one of my spark plug tubes was leaking oil and needed to be replaced.

I'll probably check out the new Miata, but I would need to be much more impressed than I expect to be to trade in my Boxster. I would say it is 80% of the Boxster at 50% of the cost. But, it is missing that 20%. That said, I think Miata owners should be proud of their cars.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

I owned a 2000 NB Miata. Excellent car but still no match for even an early base Boxster.

If I was going to spend $30K, I'd be looking at a non-IMSB Boxster, a 2005 996, or even an early high mileage 997.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #14

The side profile of the new model reminds me of the BMW Z8 a little.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #15

I think I'd look at a Honda S2000 if I wanted to replace my Boxster. Yes they are no longer new but they too are fun to drive. Just have to get used to revving it up more in order to feel the power.

Ehhh l'll stick with what I have
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #16

If I were to make a switch I would probably go FRS. The new Miata I going to tough to get a rollbar in there to take it to the track. That said if my Boxster blows up I am going Cayman R in my dreams
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:05 AM   #17

I love the Miata. Bought one new in 1992, and it was hands-down the best car I ever owned. Redline every time I drove it, was incredibly reliable and fun. Simple top, easy to work on. Kept it for almost twenty years. If I could straight swap, I would take a NC or ND in a heartbeat.

Drove a new '15 NC last week. Still true to the original, almost no extra "geegaws" to go wrong. (If I bought one it would be a base Sport, I like simple.) Very impressive car, still to this day. I applaud Mazda for keeping it true to it's roots...
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I will say this: Just the fact that it has a simple manual convertible top that takes one arm to open and close will attract some Boxster owners who aren't Porschephiles. If you've ever had to pay for convertible top repairs, they can be as costly as motor work on a Japanese car.

There's something to be said for simplicity and Japanese engineering.
The boxster top works great as a manual top. Mine has been manual for 3 years, you'd never know it wasn't designed to work manually. It also takes takes about 1/5 the time to get the top up and down. You can also shed about 40lbs removing all those fragile electric top gremlins.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Miatas are ugly.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #20
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
No, because I'm not in the market for another roadster. It's a brilliant car, but not for me. My next car is going to be a land yacht, so there's that.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote