Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #1

Anyone have a lift or quick jack system?

Thanks for the responses fellas!

I am avoiding a 4 post with the ramps due to space and i would rather the wheels hang for brakes and suspension work, with out jacking up one side.

Anyone have a bendpak low profile unit? i like the idea of drive over without building ramps to clear the lift.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_126122_126122?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Automotive%20%3E%20Automotive%20Lifts&utm_content=14466&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14466&gclid=COO7oryQ8cUCFQYzaQodIy4ANg

Last edited by MarkeeeVR6; 06-02-2015 at 05:33 AM. Reason: re-edit response.
MarkeeeVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #2

Garage
I have an atlas 8000 lb 4 post that I am quite satisfied with. I have a garage with a 9 ft ceiling and I get one Porsche on the lift and another one under it. It was just slightly over $2000 from greg smith equip co.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I have a 6000 lb four-post lift. Bought it for $1800 + $150 shipping + $200 on-site installation. I use it all of the time. I bought some large stands from Home Depot (Rigid) so I can work on the wheels/brakes/suspension.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-01-2015 at 11:17 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #4

Garage
thstone,
Much easier if you have the trolly Jack to use wood blocks (8X8) at the Jack Points.
Then you can raise or lower the car without the wheels.
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
thstone,
Much easier if you have the trolly Jack to use wood blocks (8X8) at the Jack Points.
Then you can raise or lower the car without the wheels.
I thought the same and I tried that - for me it was a total PITA to jack the car from underneath and I needed to do it both ends if I wanted to work on all four at one time.

I found that it was much easier and quicker to raise using the lift, then place the stands, and drop the lift.

YMMV.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #6

I have a scissor lift recessed into the floor I like it a lot.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Registered Boxster abuser

I think the next lift for me is a recessed full rise scissor lift. But my old lift I bought 15+ years ago is still good and working well, although not as easy to rack a car.

https://youtu.be/GLYYTY_l4KY

There are issues with recessed so maybe not...

Last edited by healthservices; 06-01-2015 at 06:45 PM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkeeeVR6 View Post
Just bought a new house with a proper garage, and I got the ok from the wife to purchase a lift.

i dont have the height for a full blown 2 post which limits the options.

Anyone have one that they can recommend?
I have a low rise (8' high post) 2 post lift in my garage with 9.5' ceiling. The car won't go high enough to stand under, but I can work under it seated on a roll around stool. A 2 post gives a lot of open room to work underneath. The boxster will also go up high enough on the lift to park my audi underneath.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

I have a 2 post in my shop (behind the red Box) - it's nice, but yeah, you gotta have the ceiling for it. I paid $2k total (used) with the install.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #10

Garage Journal is a great Forum to ask this question.I asked there several years ago and got very involved in the idea of importing an exotic Italian designed lift.
Eventually found a great deal on a used Mohawk 2 post. I fitted wheel engaging adapters.It is fabulous for everything from my diesel truck to an XKE.
Ceiling height is the big potential limitation.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:51 AM   #11
Yeast Rancher

I have the Harbor Freight mid rise scissor lift. It works well and used their 25% off coupon.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:30 AM   #12

thank you fellas for the input!

i was trying to avoid the 4 posts with a drive on ramp, i would rather have the wheels hang so I can do suspension or brake work.

Any one have a Bendpak low profile? it looks like I wouldnt have to do ramp system to clear it which would be a plus.

FREE SHIPPING — BendPak Low Rise Vehicle Lift — 6000-Lb. Capacity, Model# LR-60 | Scissor Lifts| Northern Tool + Equipment
MarkeeeVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #13

Bendpak is a great brand.Lots of support for it direct from the Factory if you search on Garage Journal.Jeff is the guy to read.He is a Bendpak employee.
Your example linked is a very poor choice if you want to work underneath so I guess you are not planning to do that?Perhaps you have a ceiling height restriction?
An alternative you may find interesting has the mechanism under the ramps, not between them. That is a huge advantage.
Try this link to improve your P.K.?
Scissor Lift buying opportunity - The Garage Journal Board
Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
Registered Abuser

Garage
I just installed a 2 post lift last month and couldn't be happier with the results:

It's rated at 9,000 lbs and I bought it from a local (Detroit area) shop distributor.

two post 9,000 lb car lift model 9000 ae/fe

It was more economical to pay the sales tax (lord only knows us Michiganders need it to fix our roads!) than having it freight shipped to a local warehouse.

I really enjoy having the 2 post style lift. There is a huge benefit to having full access underneath the car without anything else being in the way. With working on any rear / mid engine car, this is the only way to go.

A couple of suggestions in preparation for a lift:

1. If you don't already have a high lift garage door, get it tucked up as close to the ceiling as you can. Most garage door companies can do this for $800 - $1200. I did it myself for exactly $0. If you are clever enough, it can be done with existing hardware. You don't need bigger drums or longer cables if you aren't raising the bottom of the door any higher than it previously was.

2. Look for a jackshaft garage door opener. They mount on the side of the spring rod and open / close the door by manipulating the spring load. They are ~$350, but its money well spent.

3. Consider "bumping up" the ceiling or making a cathedral style ceiling above the lift if possible. 10' is pretty much the minimum required for a 2 post and 12' is ideal.

Last edited by Bayley; 06-02-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #15

An Asymmetric 2 post lift has some advantages over the conventional 2-post.
The inexpensive new lifts are often Made in China with the retail vendor just attaching a sticky label. You may never know what company made it ? That leaves you vulnerable to spare parts support years from now.
I bought a 20+year old Mohawk. I serviced it and installed it. Had a few questions and called Mohawk in New York. Spoke to a genuine American with flawless English .He gave me detailed instructions,emailed a link to an on-line pdf and knowledgeably chatted about the lift.
When earlier I had considered an imported lift I emailed the manufacturer in China and even got them to participate in a Thread on Garage Journal. That experience nixed the Chinese option for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUjq6ijvVc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O3f92w4V_M
Old 06-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #16

Garage
I bought this a month after the car 2010 very happy with it. Removed motor 2 time , trans several, all suspension 4 ties every track weekend. Oil countless times. Lifts 54" and 6000#

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #17

Wow....

So many things I want for Xmas !
This is it
labowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #18

watch this !I also have a wheel engaging system ,all USA made but it was much cheaper than the system Jay Leno chose! See Post 15.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz5Y34fUjlA

Last edited by Gelbster; 06-02-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I bought this a month after the car 2010 very happy with it. Removed motor 2 time , trans several, all suspension 4 ties every track weekend. Oil countless times. Lifts 54" and 6000#

This is the one I want. Seems like the ideal solution given my 8' ceiling in the garage. It's about $2200 Cdn and available locally from PA.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #20

I think any kind of lift is helpful/almost necessary when working on Porsches. It seems like everything comes out the bottom. When I first got into the boxster, I use to drive them onto my trailer to work on. I would then back the ass end out over cinder blocks and 2x10's. Even then, I would still have to jack up the rear of the car if I was removing the motor. That's probably the biggest hurdle about working on the Boxster. You have to get the car 3-4 feet off the ground to get the motor out. I finally found a like new lift on Craigslist. I would have bought any kind of lift at the time. The one I found happen to be a four post and I'm so glad it's the kind I ended up with. There's pros & cons about whatever lift you end up with. For me, the biggest pro of the four post is that I can move it anywhere on my slab. It seems like I move it around as many times as I work on a car. You can't really do that with most two post. Two other things I like about my four post are I can drive/push a car onto it and get working right away and there's somewhere convenient to put your tools. There are times where I wish I had a two post too, but there hasn't been anything I've come across that I couldn't do on my four post.

I've taken the motor and trans out of 12 boxsters, 1 996 and a 2000 Camaro using this method. The front wheels are chocked and there's a cable keeping the car from rolling back