View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
Bayley
Registered Abuser

Garage
I just installed a 2 post lift last month and couldn't be happier with the results:

It's rated at 9,000 lbs and I bought it from a local (Detroit area) shop distributor.

two post 9,000 lb car lift model 9000 ae/fe

It was more economical to pay the sales tax (lord only knows us Michiganders need it to fix our roads!) than having it freight shipped to a local warehouse.

I really enjoy having the 2 post style lift. There is a huge benefit to having full access underneath the car without anything else being in the way. With working on any rear / mid engine car, this is the only way to go.

A couple of suggestions in preparation for a lift:

1. If you don't already have a high lift garage door, get it tucked up as close to the ceiling as you can. Most garage door companies can do this for $800 - $1200. I did it myself for exactly $0. If you are clever enough, it can be done with existing hardware. You don't need bigger drums or longer cables if you aren't raising the bottom of the door any higher than it previously was.

2. Look for a jackshaft garage door opener. They mount on the side of the spring rod and open / close the door by manipulating the spring load. They are ~$350, but its money well spent.

3. Consider "bumping up" the ceiling or making a cathedral style ceiling above the lift if possible. 10' is pretty much the minimum required for a 2 post and 12' is ideal.

Last edited by Bayley; 06-02-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote