Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
2 fast 4 U

OEM Coolant Expansion Tank

Where is the best place to get an OEM coolant expansion tank. Has anyone used the tanks sold buy Vertex auto? I can't believe I can't find a tank at a reasonable price.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
2 fast 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye280z View Post
Where is the best place to get an OEM coolant expansion tank. Has anyone used the tanks sold buy Vertex auto? I can't believe I can't find a tank at a reasonable price.
Also want to know what is the difference between Genuine Porsche and OEM German?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

if you do a search on replacement tanks (on this forum alone), you'll quickly understand why, although NOT cheapest option, you'll want to just bite bullet and go w/ genuine Porsche replacement tank.........

Good luck
Old 05-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
1998 Boxster

I just returned a reservoir that I had purchased NEW, for only $60 on EBay. I had decided that as difficult as I've heard the installation is, it just isn't worth rolling the dice on a cheap, Chinese part. Even though the part has a one year warranty; who wants to replace that defective, junk part with yet another cheap, Chinese, junk part that would have an equal likelyhood of failing?
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
2 fast 4 U

Ok but is there a difference between Genuine Porsche and OEM tank? Vertex auto has the OEM tank and I am wondering if this is a good product.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Ok but is there a difference between Genuine Porsche and OEM tank? Vertex auto has the OEM tank and I am wondering if this is a good product.
I thought OEM is Genuine Porsche,GM,BMW,etc...
Hummer-addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:50 AM   #7

Garage
Few years back my OEM one cracked and needed to be replaced. I ended up ordering a chinese one online for about $200 and the quality was excellant. The guy said they make these units for all around the world but he sells some privately to make a few bucks for his family. So far I have not had a problem and the installer did not run into any issues at all putting it in. The dealer wanted more than twice the price for the same part...
Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 AM   #8
1998 Boxster

In Pelican's catalog, there is a listing for a PORSCHE, and a listing for a GENUINE OEM PORSCHE. Which would be considered original equipment? And why would Porsche put their name on what appears to be two separate versions of the same thing? Or, are they the same thing?

Last edited by rah rah 986; 05-29-2015 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Missing content in first post
Old 05-29-2015, 04:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah rah 986 View Post
In Pelican's catalog, there is a listing for a PORSCHE, and a listing for a GENUINE OEM PORSCHE. Which would be considered original equipment? And why would Porsche put their name on what appears to be two separate versions of the same thing? Or, are they the same thing?
Like most manufacturers, Porsche uses more than one source for everything in the car. So there are "genuine Porsche" what the dealer would sell you, and "OEM" which could be a secondary supplier, or some third party claiming their part meets the OEM specs, which is not always the case.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:44 AM   #10
1998 Boxster

I am guessing that only products that have been authorized to do so can wear the Porsche logo as does the OEM GENUINE PORSCHE reservoir listed in this catalog. By having the Porsche insignia, I am led to believe that the product meets Porsche high quality standards.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah rah 986 View Post
I am guessing that only products that have been authorized to do so can wear the Porsche logo as does the OEM GENUINE PORSCHE reservoir listed in this catalog. By having the Porsche insignia, I am led to believe that the product meets Porsche high quality standards.
Only if the vendor, and their sources, are to be trusted.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-29-2015 at 05:45 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #12

To respond to your original question, I installed a tank (OEM) I sourced from Vertex about 2 months ago. I could not see any differences between the new one and the old one, other than the stains and cracks in the old one. Fit was fine with the exception of the new coolant level sensor. Seems there has been a change in the design requiring modification of the electrical connector. I reused the old one. All appears to be working well.
sandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:25 AM   #13
2 fast 4 U

So how would you know if the product being sold as oem is really manufactured by a supplier that is approved by Porsche?
Old 05-31-2015, 06:27 AM   #14
2 fast 4 U

Has anyone dealt with paragon parts. They have a OE expansion tank for 233. Just wondering if this tank is really Original Equipment?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
1998 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandia View Post
To respond to your original question, I installed a tank (OEM) I sourced from Vertex about 2 months ago. I could not see any differences between the new one and the old one, other than the stains and cracks in the old one. Fit was fine with the exception of the new coolant level sensor. Seems there has been a change in the design requiring modification of the electrical connector. I reused the old one. All appears to be working well.
What was the brand of the product? I noticed they don't mention it on their website. Also, do you know what country it was manufactured in?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #16

Good question. I did not see a brand or country of origin on the part or the invoice. Vertex and Pelican prices (OEM) were essentially the same, and both were back-ordered at the time I needed it. I went with the soonest.
sandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
2 fast 4 U

That's the problem Paragon doesn't mention the company name or where it is manufactured. I just want to make sure I get a good tank the last one I got was an aftermarket and it leaks near the overflow hole.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:31 AM   #18
1998 Boxster

Quote:
That's the problem Paragon doesn't mention the company name or where it is manufactured. I just want to make sure I get a good tank the last one I got was an aftermarket and it leaks near the overflow hole.
Why don't you email or call Paragon and ask for more information? Then report back to us what you find out.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #19

You can find cheap coolant expansion tanks on EBay.Part # 996 106 14708 . Whenever I contact the seller they concede they are not OEM. They are aftermarket of an unknown manufacturer and from an EBay Seller with less than perfect Feedback. Price is $90.They claim to offer a warranty but provide no details !
Note this seller claims in the Title of the Listing "PORSCHE..Coolant tank" -but it is not Porsche - it is no-name generic of unknown quality with no written warranty.
The labor in the task of replacing the tank is such an issue that the risk/savings just are not worth it IMHO.
Porsche Radiator Overflow Coolant Tank New with Cap | eBay
Plus the seller "Arbosha"of SVB Imports Montrose Ca., has a murky rep on an MB Forum:
http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/301239-ebay-seller-alert-arbosha.html
http://www.yellowpages.com/sun-valley-ca/mip/svb-imports-456273818?lid=456273818#reviews
There are several fitting problems with the knock-offs:
1.the coolant level sensor(in the bottom of the tank) will not fit without removing excess material form the new tank.Do not force the sensor in -you will break it!
2.The drain nipple is blanked off. So if you overfill or it 'burps' ,it will overflow the shoulders on the top of the coolant reservoir and flood the electronics in the trunk.
3.The flange that fits on the bulkhead is oversize.Trim it or you will have breakage/leaks.
These junk parts make an already tedious job a ridiculous hassle.
Note:- the only review of a Pelican aftermarket coolant expansion tank(996-106-147-08-M127) had a failure. But at least Pelican would handle the issue honorably .It is $228.The OEM is $383.
2001 Porsche Boxster S Convertible - Radiators - Page 4

Last edited by Gelbster; 10-08-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote