Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #1

New 987-first things to do?

Hi all,

I just picked up my new 06 987 (midnight blue/grey/grey)and am loving it beyond description! I realize that I will need to do more than just drive it, though, and am wondering what first steps should be for cleaning.

I will be applying Raggtopp to the top.

I have read all the forums (awesome info!) but am unclear on what to do for new car fresh paint.

I have always used Zymol and have been satisfied with results, but I gather from the forums that Klasse or Zaino products may be superior.

Do I need to use a sealant before a cleaner wax such as Zymol?

Should I give up on Zymol and go with something better?

thanks!

astorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorey
Hi all,

I just picked up my new 06 987 (midnight blue/grey/grey)and am loving it beyond description! I realize that I will need to do more than just drive it, though, and am wondering what first steps should be for cleaning.

I will be applying Raggtopp to the top.

I have read all the forums (awesome info!) but am unclear on what to do for new car fresh paint.

I have always used Zymol and have been satisfied with results, but I gather from the forums that Klasse or Zaino products may be superior.

Do I need to use a sealant before a cleaner wax such as Zymol?

Should I give up on Zymol and go with something better?

thanks!

1st, chill out. Porsche paint is of the highest quality, so any wax (use what you like!) will be fantastic. No need for sealant, but if you want to use one, knock yourself out.

I DO recommend using Rejex on the wheels, as it makes them incredibly slick, therefore reducing brake dust and making cleaning of them easier. Have to do Rejex when the wheel is really clean, so new is a good time to start. Many use Rejex as a wax on the car because it lasts so long.

I didn't worry about Raggtop either, but that's mostly because my top is down, all the time...except at the track or when it is raining.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #3

My thoughts are similar to Todd's.

I have the same color exterior on my 987 and am pretty anal retentive about keeping it looking sharp (although not at Perfectlap's level). It received a $750 Permaplate treatment from the dealer prior to delivery, which I purchased in a moment of weakness during the negotiations.

Hindsight being 20/20, in retrospect, I would have done the following:

Forget the dealer treatment
Wash the car like a fiend.
Slap two coats of Rejex on the car (available online - http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html or in some stores and used by many Porsche owners)
Never worry about it again (until you Rejex it in another 6 months or more).
Subsequent washings can be followed by a little instant-detailer application if you're feeling ambitious.

I took a meandering path to the above end-result, and screwed around with fancy polishes etc. The car never looked better at any point in it's life until after I did the above (15K miles later).

One more note, be extremely careful what kind of towels you use to dry and polish the car with, Just like Perfectlap tells us. Most imperfections in my paint were from using the 'wrong' towels for a period.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:05 PM   #4

Forget about all the advice....DRIVE IT!!! Then worry about the other stuff.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I have the same color exterior on my 987 and am pretty anal retentive about keeping it looking sharp (although not at Perfectlap's level). It received a $750 Permaplate treatment from the dealer prior to delivery, which I purchased in a moment of weakness during the negotiations.

I too paid for the PermaPlate treatment, in a moment of weakness, when purchasing my 987. I paid $695. They treated the paint, leather, fabric, and top. Does anyone know if this really does anything? It came with a 5 year warranty where at any point during the warranty period the product fails to perform as guaranteed, they will repair the damage at no cost.
smith12895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #6

Don't forget to drive it
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
bmussatti

astorey, I picked-up my 987S about 3 weeks ago. I would recommend doing the Ragg Topp. I put 3 coats on the day I got home. Sounds like you got good advice about the waxing already.

I would recommend you change the oil at the 1,000 mile mark. But, that's just me. I did it and think the $110 is a good investment.

I also removed the stickers on the sun visors with de-natured alcohol and they look great! Take it slow and easy, lots of rubbing. Did it with the visors in place on the car.

Get some good leather conditioner (www.colorplus.com).

Fabric protector on the floor mats.

I also dropped in the fuel tank a high quality fuel cleaner with Techron.

De-amber the side markers...adds 5HP!!! Really!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #8

So bmussatti, give us your impressions of the car, as you've been waiting with great anticipation to take delivery for awhile. Everything you thought it would be and more?

I've noticed your posting rate has slowed and I can only assume you've traded forum time for seat-time, driving the hell out of it.

Congrats !

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti

De-amber the side markers...adds 5HP!!! Really!!!
Good point!! Clear side markers are a MUST! I'm surprised the car even moves at all with those ambers! I had mine changed immediately.

On our site, we give credit to Boxster folklore on hp gains, but we are generous and say 10hp!! http://www.epiqautosport.com/mode/products/prid/200/1175

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
So bmussatti, give us your impressions of the car, as you've been waiting with great anticipation to take delivery for awhile. Everything you thought it would be and more?

I've noticed your posting rate has slowed and I can only assume you've traded forum time for seat-time, driving the hell out of it.

Congrats !
SD987, I don't want to steal this thread, so in short, I have been very happy and very busy! I'll post pictures soon. Sorry for the delay.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #11

I recommend you get a 4 wheel alignment immediately, watch your tire wear like a hawk and sing out loud and soon if they seem to wear unusually quickly. Rear tires alone will cost in the neighborhood of $650-700 to replace. From what I understand they are ultra performance tires with soft sticky rubber and typically last 10,000 miles or so with some going further depending on your driving habits.

I drove my Box 3 months last season and 3 weeks this season for a total of 3900 miles. The fronts are like new but the rear tires only have 3/32's left. They seem to be worn pretty evenly and no I don't drive crazy, I drive like an old lady. I hate to admit it but it's been all highway(back and forth to work) and a few weekend tours (with my wife) so no spirited driving. Have kept the air at 32F, 36R religiously and I've been extremely careful to the point of obsession about avoiding potholes, bump, curb etc. It's hard to believe the tires could wear like this. I will be going to the dealership(Boston), Friday to see what they will do. I don't hold out much hope. The dealer has probably heard a hundred stories like mine.

So, an immediate 4 wheel alignment (documented) and continued vigil is what I would recommend. It may save you headaches later. Sheesh! I wish I were this smart last year.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:52 PM   #12

re: the side markers - I highly recommend that in addition to upgrading the the ultra high performance clear lenses, that you swap out the bulb for a hyperwhite - it looks very sleek! especially with silvania superstars in the headlights and hyperwhites in the fogs.

and, re: the tires - in the past I've always rotated my tires between 5000 and 7500 miles - I'm currently at 3500 and will be driving back and forth to Phoenix this weekend (about 700 miles round trip). recommendations on whether or not I should be rotating the tires sooner than 5000 mi?
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz-z Z
I recommend you get a 4 wheel alignment immediately, watch your tire wear like a hawk and sing out loud and soon if they seem to wear unusually quickly. Rear tires alone will cost in the neighborhood of $650-700 to replace. From what I understand they are ultra performance tires with soft sticky rubber and typically last 10,000 miles or so with some going further depending on your driving habits.

I drove my Box 3 months last season and 3 weeks this season for a total of 3900 miles. The fronts are like new but the rear tires only have 3/32's left. They seem to be worn pretty evenly and no I don't drive crazy, I drive like an old lady. I hate to admit it but it's been all highway(back and forth to work) and a few weekend tours (with my wife) so no spirited driving. Have kept the air at 32F, 36R religiously and I've been extremely careful to the point of obsession about avoiding potholes, bump, curb etc. It's hard to believe the tires could wear like this. I will be going to the dealership(Boston), Friday to see what they will do. I don't hold out much hope. The dealer has probably heard a hundred stories like mine.

So, an immediate 4 wheel alignment (documented) and continued vigil is what I would recommend. It may save you headaches later. Sheesh! I wish I were this smart last year.

Great advice - get an alignment. The factory alignment is almost always unequal. I had mine done when I had my camber adjusted and even the camber was uneven - the fronts were negative .1 degrees on one side and .3 degrees positive on the other - POSITIVE!

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

Old 04-19-2006, 07:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz-z Z

For those owners needing to replace expensive 18" tires too soon take a look at my classified on this board.

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5691
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIQTodd
Great advice - get an alignment. The factory alignment is almost always unequal. I had mine done when I had my camber adjusted and even the camber was uneven - the fronts were negative .1 degrees on one side and .3 degrees positive on the other - POSITIVE!
Hmm...I didn't even consider this. My tires aren't wearing unevenly though, 15,000 miles, and I haven't noticed anything odd about the handling.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #16

Even though my tires are directional, I have them knocked off the rims and moved to the other side every 2,000 miles or so. This makes them wear far more evenly and I got a lot of miles out of "non rotatatable" tires.

However, you can't do this at 5000 miles and expect them to perform well. You have to do it early and frequently for it to work well.

The fronts don't need this nearly as much as the rear tires with the negative camber.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote