Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2015, 05:16 AM   #1

Bikini top on a 986

I wanted to share this with you guys. It's a bikini top a buddy of mine made for his race car. He originally had a fiberglass hardtop on it but was looking for ways to loose weight and still be protected from the brutal Texas sun. For a race car, I think my friend did a great job. For the street, I think it needs some refinement. I love the idea of having something shade you from the sun, yet still enjoying the feel of the top down. Here in Texas, the sun makes you feel like an ant under a magnifying glass.

If you look how he has the rear attached, you'll see he has eye bolts drilled through the clam shell. I was thinking for the street version, it could have small ratchet straps that attach behind and underneath the clam shell.

He has the front attached to the spots where the sunvisors screw into. I think for the front connection, you could duplicate how the front attaches on the convertible top.

Maybe one of these days I'll build one. I'm really hoping to inspire someone (Nin8Six) to take this idea farther because I'm too lazy myself.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #2

I,ve often thought of something like that. Had one on a Jeep years ago. I think it would have to be a heavyweight and stiff material - it would flap like a mofo.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

I had a soft cover over the back of one of my street-driven racecar roadsters, and it would flap and make noise, which I tolerated. But it isn't difficult at all to make it stiff using fiberglass and foam, and still very light.
The aerodynamics of such a top is very poor, a hardtop with windows is dramatically better.
nimblemotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

I guess you would have to have some type of bar like the BK roll bar extender so it wouldn't be down on your head. I wonder what holds up the back of the boxster spyder soft top?

Last edited by steved0x; 05-17-2015 at 07:05 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #5

I saw the car on the track and it didn't look like it was flapping around. Of course he never gets out of 3rd gear. I believe he has aluminum straps sewn in and they keep it pretty stiff. You're probably right Steve. Something may need to be added on the rollbar to keep it off your head. I think that would also help protect the finish on the roll bar too.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

Maybe fiberglass rods under compression like on a tent?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Wow, pretty cool! I really like this idea. A lot of the final appeal will be in the details. Done right, it might be a winner.

The challenge is to make something that is very appealing and super easy to use - otherwise owners will simply use the soft top that they already have (which only takes a latch and a short button push).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #8

bikini top

I mainly run the car on autocross with this top is a good way to get protected from the sun and the weight penalty is null. I have a hard top that i use at the track.

The top already has aluminum rods (5) which gives it a lot of rigidity. I have run it several times and it does not flop or move around at all ,is as steady as my hard top.

For a street version a lot more of the details need to be worked out so it would have a much more finished look. As far as putting it on it takes one person about 2 minutes to do it
goldsc_78258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:05 AM   #9

love the Bikini top....details Please.

Hi There,
I love the bikini top you made, can you please share details of the sub structure and mounting points?
I'd really like to see how you did it (that's proven to work)...

-If you were to do it again what would you change?
-Any thoughts on making a "street" version of this?

thx, Matt
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:48 AM   #10

Awww , I was expecting a girl in Bikini on this thread.

Maybe it supposed to be a Bimini top

Looks very cool and would be a nice option if you want to lighten up a racer.

I think the top assembly with frame and glass is about 55 lbs, so likely a net weight savings of 50 lbs.

Also noticed this cool yellow racer has a key lock gas cap lid.
Maybe those other racers are scary and would do anything to get the edge and win
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 04-25-2016 at 05:51 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:22 AM   #11

nice to see. I've been thinking about this for a while too. my latest is perhaps to take a light fiberglass clamshell cover (Sheridan?) and a set of ebay speedster humps and glass them into one piece. for cars with roof removed (or roof motors removed so easy to take out roof) would be a cool light option. add the bimini for if it rains at the track (top could be make to be relatively oem-looking by keeping the front bar for mounting purposes). AND, keeps oem aero if such is reqd for your class.

note, I was looking at adding the rear truck to the assembly as well in order to get an inexpensive 986 spyder thing going on, but can't figure out a way to keep any rigidity between the clamshell and the trunk (they do it on the 987 by extending the speedster humps further back).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I guess you would have to have some type of bar like the BK roll bar extender so it wouldn't be down on your head. I wonder what holds up the back of the boxster spyder soft top?
There's a small support bar that acts as a frame on the 987 Spyders. The roll hoops have holes in them and it sits on top.

https://youtu.be/7gufRb6b2FE?t=85
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXvo1qwR3F4

A little video of the top going down the highway doing about 75mph. It flops around a little bit but it's mostly because he doesn't have the back part tight.
Here's a pic of how he has the front attached.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 07-03-2016 at 12:32 PM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote