View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 05:16 AM   #1
itsnotanova

Bikini top on a 986

I wanted to share this with you guys. It's a bikini top a buddy of mine made for his race car. He originally had a fiberglass hardtop on it but was looking for ways to loose weight and still be protected from the brutal Texas sun. For a race car, I think my friend did a great job. For the street, I think it needs some refinement. I love the idea of having something shade you from the sun, yet still enjoying the feel of the top down. Here in Texas, the sun makes you feel like an ant under a magnifying glass.

If you look how he has the rear attached, you'll see he has eye bolts drilled through the clam shell. I was thinking for the street version, it could have small ratchet straps that attach behind and underneath the clam shell.

He has the front attached to the spots where the sunvisors screw into. I think for the front connection, you could duplicate how the front attaches on the convertible top.

Maybe one of these days I'll build one. I'm really hoping to inspire someone (Nin8Six) to take this idea farther because I'm too lazy myself.