Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Improvised third stop light

When I was looking for a new third stop light in ebay, I found this LED clear light made from China. So I bought this light and installed it to my car. After a couple of week, the clear LED light stopped working. What the hell, I found out that the only way to repair this was to break open the plastic housing and definitely break the whole thing. So I decided to look around and one day, I went to Pepboys auto store and found this double layer red LED lights (white) strip with self adhesive double sided 3M tape. This light strip is waterproof and long lasting according to the manufacturer. The light intensity is so bright that when I bench tested it I can't look at it directly. So what I did, I cleaned, centered and attached the strip and drilled a small hole at the end of the light module to route the wires and soldered it to the wire terminals. To reinforced the adhesive tape, I applied a layer of exterior clear silicon caulk around the strip and at both ends. I was concern about the polarity but luckily after the first try, it worked. The red LED light strip cost around $39.00 and is around 20 inches long. The good thing about it is, if you decided to replace the light strip all you have to do is remove it using a heater gun. The light is beautiful and unique when you look at it at night. Please see the pictures. Thanks.:ah:

Last edited by itoy; 05-09-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spell check
itoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoy View Post
The light is beautiful and unique when you look at it at night.
TOTALLY agree, nice mod. I can easily imagine what it looks like at nite.

I like
Old 05-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #3

in your case (speed yellow, black top) I'd spray it with a dark tint of some sort. 15% or something... not too dark. Just so it blends in with the top black offset.

Also looks fine as it is (don't listen to picky ppl mate)
Old 05-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #4

Another option for toning it down if you find it too bright:

Porsche Boxster 986 S 3rd Brake Light Decal Overlay 97 98 1999 00 01 02 03 04 | eBay