View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
itoy

Improvised third stop light

When I was looking for a new third stop light in ebay, I found this LED clear light made from China. So I bought this light and installed it to my car. After a couple of week, the clear LED light stopped working. What the hell, I found out that the only way to repair this was to break open the plastic housing and definitely break the whole thing. So I decided to look around and one day, I went to Pepboys auto store and found this double layer red LED lights (white) strip with self adhesive double sided 3M tape. This light strip is waterproof and long lasting according to the manufacturer. The light intensity is so bright that when I bench tested it I can't look at it directly. So what I did, I cleaned, centered and attached the strip and drilled a small hole at the end of the light module to route the wires and soldered it to the wire terminals. To reinforced the adhesive tape, I applied a layer of exterior clear silicon caulk around the strip and at both ends. I was concern about the polarity but luckily after the first try, it worked. The red LED light strip cost around $39.00 and is around 20 inches long. The good thing about it is, if you decided to replace the light strip all you have to do is remove it using a heater gun. The light is beautiful and unique when you look at it at night. Please see the pictures. Thanks.:ah:

Last edited by itoy; 05-09-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spell check
itoy is offline   Reply With Quote