Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #1

Garage
sudden power loss when going up bumps

I did a bit of searching but couldn't find a reference to a problem like this. I m hoping someone has come across it. My'99 986 has developed an issue where I get intermittent power losses that seem to be more likely if I go over a bump in the road. In addition, they seem to increase as the weather gets warmer. This all seems to me to point to a bad electric connection and I suspect its with the MAF sensor or its connection. The obvious way to test this would be to drive without the MAF but, as I said, its intermittent and I dont want to drive for too long without a MAF. My reason for thinking its MAF-related is that I have had the issue before and replacing the MAF fixed it - for about 6 months. Back then it was violent enough to throw a MAF fault code and also get me booted off the track during a DE, but at the moment its not triggering the CEL.

Three possibilities I can think of that could cause this:
1) Bad MAF sensor - again (I didnt buy OEM - maybe the cheaper ones are prone to failure, but do they typically fail in this way?)
2) Bad wiring harness (arrrrghhh!!! - I really hope not)
3) a leak in the air intake downstream from MAF - not sure if this would cause the symptoms Im experiencing

Thanks for any insight

ps. I meant 'over bumps' not 'up bumps'. No idea what I was thinking there

Last edited by tranceatlantic; 05-07-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
tranceatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote