Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
CEL P0306

Garage
Convertible top, reattaching black hydraulic pushrod?

Friends, '98 convertible top issue: replaced busted ball joints, but had to pop the clips on the black hydraulic pushrods in order to get the clam shell into the service position for better access. It doesn't look like it's going to be easy to reconnect the pushrods/clips. I need a a centimeter or two of play. Any suggestions? Everything seems to be in working order otherwise.
Thanks, Aaron

Last edited by aczyzewski; 05-03-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added question mark in title
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
CEL P0306

Garage
Update: Force was getting me nowhere trying to pry the ball joint end of the hydrolic pushrods off (clip side already undone), I was afraid to break the v-lever. One spray of lubricant and they practically fell off. Still have the issue of reconnecting these rods. Now with clip side in place. I can't get any movement to line them up so I can tap back into place. New question: should the hydrolic pushrods be able to move? Like you would expect... Mine seem fixed and completely immobile.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #3

Garage
That is correct, they are a fixed length. It has been over a uear since I removed/reinstalled mine. I can't tell you how to get them connected - other then make sure the clips are in well, or they might fall out again.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
CEL P0306

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
That is correct, they are a fixed length. It has been over a uear since I removed/reinstalled mine. I can't tell you how to get them connected - other then make sure the clips are in well, or they might fall out again.
Thanks. That helps. I am beginning to think that the alignment of the drive mechanism is off a bit and that is making it out of reach when I try to reconnect. Like was mentioned in other posts, there was a lot of tension on the pushrods when I popped then off.