Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #1

Hard to shift - notchy - after car warms up

My 2000 2.7L 5 speed manual is hard to shift with a notchy feeling when the car warms up. I'm taking it in for some servicing this Friday and am wondering if anyone has had this before and knows what it might be.

I had the clutch done about 6 months ago and it was really smooth afterwards. But after a few months it got stiffer. I usually do short drives so I don't notice it.

I've been searching and have seen recommendations to change the transmission fluid which I'm getting done this Friday. My car has about 60,000 miles and my manual says to change at 90,000 but I see that Porsche has changed that recommendation to 120,000 or 12 years whichever comes first for new cars.

I've also read about some cable needing adjustment. I've also seen something about a shifting pin that may need to be replaced. Most of the comments have been about notchiness with cold cars starting up - but mine is the opposite- it becomes notchy when hot.

Any ideas? thanks!

Fyeganeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #2

These cars are old and all regardless of mileage in my opinion should have their transmission oil changed. I did mine when the transmission was out to the IMS at 51k and it definitely made a difference. The oil is relatively cheap and when you have the trans out its pretty easy to do.

Also, check the motor mount. These go bad with age and when they do they can make shifting notchy.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

Also note that many on the board swear by the factory trans fluid.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

I did the motor mount about 3 months ago because I had read about that as a possibility as well. They said it was worn out, but that wasn't the cause. Will ask the shop to use Porsche recommended transmission fluid.

Fyeganeh is offline   Reply With Quote