Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

Dyeing a Boxster top?

Hey everyone! Got a question that is kind of nagging at me a little bit. I have a '99 base Boxster with a very faded grey top. I was thinking of dyeing the top black. Now I have a couple of questions about possibly doing it:

1. One, I cannot tell what kind of top, vinyl or canvas.
2. Will any kind of dye "bleed" through the top?
3. has anyone done this and can give feedback?

I have seen pics of Arctic Silver Boxsters (which I have) with black tops and they look outstanding. So I figured I ask here and see if anyone had any input about it! Thanks in advance!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #2

Garage
I had good results with this product:
Amazon.com: Convertible PVC & Vinyl Hood - Top - Roof - Tarp - Dye - Paint - Black: Sports & Outdoors

I recommend getting two kits, one is not enough.

300K Mile Club

Last edited by Jager; 05-02-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

I thought Arctic silver and black was pretty much the standard color lol. When I replaced my top with a glass back window unit I wanted to do grey but I knew it would get dirty quick so I put a blue top on mine. I like having a color combo not seen a lot of.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Oberst View Post
Hey everyone! Got a question that is kind of nagging at me a little bit. I have a '99 base Boxster with a very faded grey top. I was thinking of dyeing the top black. Now I have a couple of questions about possibly doing it:

I have seen pics of Arctic Silver Boxsters (which I have) with black tops and they look outstanding. So I figured I ask here and see if anyone had any input about it! Thanks in advance!
I think this is a nice color combination for Arctic Silver, though black looks great also
Santafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Oberst View Post

I am going way off topic here with a question: Is that really a Duke Logo attached to a Kentucky location? If so - you must live dangerously.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #6

Yeah it is a Duke logo. I've been a fan since 85 or so. And yeah it does get a bit rough BUT I am 6'2" and about 265 so I am not too worried! LOL
Thanks for the info. Going to try it this weekend. Hopefully it will pan out...Hopefully.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
I thought Arctic silver and black was pretty much the standard color lol. When I replaced my top with a glass back window unit I wanted to do grey but I knew it would get dirty quick so I put a blue top on mine. I like having a color combo not seen a lot of.
Quite a number of silver Boxes up here with Blue tops. Metropol blue and silver was a common colour combo and looks great.