Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #1

For Those with Black or Red Boxsters.....

I am anal about shinning and polishing. I honestly enjoy it and love the results. Whether it is the garage floor, the muffler or the car's paint.... love to shine it up.

Over the years I have tried numerous waxes and settled on One Grand Blitz Carnauba as my go to wax for the cars. It is a great wax. Every now and then I would also use P21S Concours Look Carnauba. At times (rarely) One Grand Blitz would fog on the paint and the P21S was great for fixing things up.

Then.... I read about P21S 100% Carnauba Wax. It sounded good so I figured I would give it a shot. I wax the my Guards Red Boxster at least once a month. After 14 years I had the typical light spider webbing on the paint that was visible in the sunlight. After several waxing with the P21S 100% Carnauba Wax my paint is perfect without any viable spider webbing. The paint looks amazing. I am guessing that this would work on black cars too.

I usually don't recommend products like this... but this one deserves a shout out. It does cost about 37% more than the standard P21S wax and $60 for a 6.2 ounce jar isn't cheap. But for me it is well worth it. It appears you can get over ten waxings on the Boxster per jar.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #2

You know regarding big price, for a long while PS21S and S100 were identical products (same carnauba source) but S100 was less expensive. Only a very trained eye could tell an S100 car from a P21S car if the prep was identical. At $15 may be worth a shot for you.

Amazon.com: S100 13700W Carnauba Paste Wax - 6.2 oz.: Automotive
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

I use the one grand blitz.....for black it seems to work very well.....it's old school a bit of work to use. Maybe it is time for change
Old 04-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #4

EDIT: I see you have the 100% carnauba version of P21S. I wasn't aware that P21S sold two versions.
S100 would be a near carbon copy of the cheaper version of PS1S. So $15 vs. $38 vs. $60.

The only issue however with 100% carnauba is that it will degrade quickly with heat and moisture, unlike a synthetic wax but the wet look shine is obviously not as good as with the pure carnauaba. I guess it depends on how the car is used. One trick that can extend the life of either S100 or the two P21S versions is to apply a polymer spray over it once the wax has set up for a few hours (needs a cool ambient temp). Finishkare #425 is probably one of the better 'last step product"s I've used. Bare carnauba wax can be a bit of a dust magnet. The #425 gives it a teflon like finish to the touch while preserving the shine. Dust rolls right off So less of a need to do quick touch ups. It has this same effect over synthetic waxes as well, convenient for when your car is parked outside as the wind and light rain fall will roll dirt off the paint. Once you slide your finger over it you'll see what I mean. I haven't seen this in many other products. So it's an interesting mix, something very natural like pure carnauba under something very 'advanced'. Mixing the two into one product does not seem to work, layering is required.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-30-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

Today I realized a cold salty winter had taken its toll on my Muffler and exhaust. Do you have a product and or preferred cleaning method you can recommend to me to get them looking shiny and new again?

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I am anal about shinning and polishing. I honestly enjoy it and love the results. Whether it is the garage floor, the muffler or the car's paint.... love to shine it up.

Over the years I have tried numerous waxes and settled on One Grand Blitz Carnauba as my go to wax for the cars. It is a great wax. Every now and then I would also use P21S Concours Look Carnauba. At times (rarely) One Grand Blitz would fog on the paint and the P21S was great for fixing things up.

Then.... I read about P21S 100% Carnauba Wax. It sounded good so I figured I would give it a shot. I wax the my Guards Red Boxster at least once a month. After 14 years I had the typical light spider webbing on the paint that was visible in the sunlight. After several waxing with the P21S 100% Carnauba Wax my paint is perfect without any viable spider webbing. The paint looks amazing. I am guessing that this would work on black cars too.

I usually don't recommend products like this... but this one deserves a shout out. It does cost about 37% more than the standard P21S wax and $60 for a 6.2 ounce jar isn't cheap. But for me it is well worth it. It appears you can get over ten waxings on the Boxster per jar.

Carlisabadman986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #6

I use Turtle Black Box myself which is a 96% pure black carnauba wax system with 4% silicone. The Black wax fills in scratches and does not turn white on curing, remaining black, hence the scratch/stone chip filling ability.

It lasts about 2 months before needing rewax but you can stretch that to 3 if you use the detailer spray after washes.

I researched the P21s vs S100 wax and it seems that the P21S uses a White Carnauba wax which is optically superior in its finish but softer and does not last as long as the harder yellowish S100 Carnauba wax.

Also the P21S has Bee's wax mixed in to make it soft and easy to apply, so its not 100% pure Carnauba.

I'd think that a red car would be OK with the yellowish S100 wax but none of the other colored cars would look good with that very slight color offset.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisabadman986 View Post
Today I realized a cold salty winter had taken its toll on my Muffler and exhaust. Do you have a product and or preferred cleaning method you can recommend to me to get them looking shiny and new again?

Thank you
I recently brought back a PSE to life. I have always polished Boxster exhaust by hand, but this one was very weathered. So... I first used a 2" 320 grit Scotch Brite Polishing Ball on a power drill along with Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream. I had gotten the tube of Blue Magic in a gift bag when I entered the Boxster in a PCA Concours d'Elegance event. It was good stuff for taking the top layer of grit. I then used brake cleaner, Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and applied this by hand using 0000 super fine steel wool . This cleaned it up more and added some shine. Lastly, I put several coat of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish on by hand rubbing it in well then buffing it with a soft cloth. I would guess I put 10 to 12 hours into the polishing of it.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote