Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #1

Top question

On the passenger side, the soft top doesn't want to sit in its channel as it should. Is there a way to fix this?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #2

My daily driver does this as well. Don't quote me because I'm not sure, but I believe there are elastic tension straps that are supposed to hold the fabric in place so it will slide into the channel as the top is being raised. If they're worn or gone, it does that. I don't know if they can be replaced separately of the top, haven't looked into it yet. Perhaps someone here can give a more educated answer.
Since mine does it on the drivers side, I actually stick my hand out and guide the edge into the channel while the top is going up. (don't try this at home kids! You could potentially get a nasty pinch!).

Last edited by Retroman1969; 04-27-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
Run

As mentioned there are elastic straps. There is also a Velcro strap there that wraps around the frame as well as a guide string for lack of a better name that fits into a snap of sorts.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

My top did the same thing after I replaced it. When operating the top I would make sure before its all the way closed that it would sit in the channel. After 2 or 3 times doing that I never had a problem. If you can get it to sit in the channel and then close the top, let it sit like that for a while and it should be good to go. ( at least that was my situation)
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #5

Thanks! I'll try that.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

From what I have read the cable has stretch longer than what it should be and will continue to have this issue on and off til it is repaired.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #7

I see the little velcro straps, but can't tell what the top one is supposed to be doing? It's wrapped around the metal bar, loosely, but isn't holding anything tight. What is its purpose?
Old 04-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Run

If you see the strap there should also be the nylon string I mentioned. Right near where the strap is attached is a snap of sorts there should be a string in that snap. Mine has a small piece of leather attached to keep it from sliding out
Old 04-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
On the passenger side, the soft top doesn't want to sit in its channel as it should. Is there a way to fix this?

Hello my top did this, my fix was to flip over the steel strip that sits right behind were the top goes into the Chanel from the rear o the car it's held by two torx screws.
Boxstervr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

Thanks, Run. I definitely see the cord, but I don't see the snap. And I guess I still don't understand what the little velcro strap is supposed to be doing. It's velcro'd around the metal bar, but it's very loose, and it's not holding anything down.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
Run

When I get home tonight I will snap a picture for you. Its hard to explain otherwise.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Thanks, Run. I definitely see the cord, but I don't see the snap. And I guess I still don't understand what the little velcro strap is supposed to be doing. It's velcro'd around the metal bar, but it's very loose, and it's not holding anything down.

This article should help.

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

I just ran down to Hobby Lobby and bought elastic, needle and thread for heavy duty cloth. I have mad skills with a needle and thread.
MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #13

Thank you both! That link is very helpful!
Old 04-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
Run

The arrows indicate where the string goes and where the snap is located. The snap is in the front of the picture. Also it shows both straps that should be there.