Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

Squeak from rear - not sure what to check

Posted in the past, but have had some work done since that thread. Recently was hit on passenger rear, so it was in the body shop for a long time. Part of that work, they replaced the CV boot on the passenger side for me (which is great because it ruled out that side of the CV suspicion).

Car looks better than the day i bought her again! BUT i still have that nagging whine/squeak that sounds like it's coming from the driver's rear wheel. I don't really hear it until i hit about 5-10 mph and gets louder with speed, but does not necessarily change rhythm or pitch. Can just barely hear it with top and windows up, but with windows down, is really noticeable.

The CV boot on the driver's side looks to be intact all the way around. I was leaning towards a "dry CV", but since it's all intact, does that rule that out?

WARNING: STUPID QUESTION ALERT!

I have a Tip ('00 base) - what do i need to do to be able to turn the rear driver's wheel with it on the jack? I'd like to be able to spin it by hand to see if I can better isolate it with my ear right next to it while turning. Not sure how to do this properly (and safely) though.

Last edited by stateofidleness; 04-25-2015 at 12:34 PM.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #2

Garage
have you checked the pads to make sure the anti squeal shims are intact ?
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

Hmm.. i can check them, but doesn't sounds like brake pad squeal (which I would only hear when the brakes are applied). I hear this sound with any forward motion, brakes or no brakes.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #4

WAG - while I'd expect more of a hum like sound, could it be a wheel bearing? Does the pitch change in your turning left versus right?
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #5

Definitely not the "common" wheel bearing "howling" sound. No difference while turning, left or right.

Really hard to describe... sounds like a squeaky wheel on a wagon, but it's not high pitched.

Will have it up on the lift tomorrow and will get a better look, but could a dry CV, either inner or outer, be a possible culprit? Tie rods, ball joints, maybe?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #6

Does the car have to be moving for you to hear the squeak? Asking to rule out a bearing noise coming from one of the auxiliaries in the front of the engine?
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #7

yes, car must be in forward motion. usually becomes audible enough at 5-10mph when in the car.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:34 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post

WARNING: STUPID QUESTION ALERT!

I have a Tip ('00 base) - what do i need to do to be able to turn the rear driver's wheel with it on the jack? I'd like to be able to spin it by hand to see if I can better isolate it with my ear right next to it while turning. Not sure how to do this properly (and safely) though.
In neutral with the parking brake off ??
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:48 AM   #9
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
Quote:
Hmm.. i can check them, but doesn't sounds like brake pad squeal (which I would only hear when the brakes are applied). I hear this sound with any forward motion, brakes or no brakes.

In neutral with the parking brake off ??
No... both rear wheels must be off of the ground
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #10

So I took her for a quick run to the ice house today to refresh my memory on the symptoms...

The noise seems to disappear (most likely just not loud enough) UNDER 20mph. Above that and I start to hear it. "Speed" of the noise does appear to change as I go faster. Noise sounds more prominent when decelerating, but I may attribute that to less noise from exhaust and engine during deceleration so it doesn't muffle the wobble noise as much. Turning does not alter or affect the noise at all.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:18 AM   #11
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
So I took her for a quick run to the ice house today to refresh my memory on the symptoms...

The noise seems to disappear (most likely just not loud enough) UNDER 20mph. Above that and I start to hear it. "Speed" of the noise does appear to change as I go faster. Noise sounds more prominent when decelerating, but I may attribute that to less noise from exhaust and engine during deceleration so it doesn't muffle the wobble noise as much. Turning does not alter or affect the noise at all.

Okay then what happens when you have the car making the noise and you put the trans in neutral letting the rpm drop to idle?

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote