Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #1

how much time is needed to change springs?

hey guys,
i brought my car to change my springs to eibach's.my mechanic said it was a much bigger job to change them than normal.because he has to take alot of stuff apart that he would not normally have to on other cars.so i was wondering about how much time would it normally take.thanks guys fo the info.
p.s. yes i did call porsche but what ever they say is always around 50% more than anyone else.

arcticnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #2

Depending on the knowledge level of the mechanic it's a 4 - 8 hour project.

Most shops will bill the job at 8 hours from what I've found. Most dealers will charge about $1000 + alignment.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #3

thanks,that sounds about right.I was just surprised as i thought it was a simple procedure.this is my third car that im lowering and i never came across such a big production to lower.(had i known it was such a big deal i never would have done it. thanks again
arcticnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #4

It sounds high but once you see the BS involved with the rears you realize they aren't ripping you off. It's pretty labor intensive.

I will say it's worth the money IMHO. I did the RoW M030 (sport) suspension and it's really works well in the 986S. I'm VERY happy with the conversion and consider the cost to be worth it. Of course YMMV

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
Old 04-16-2006, 04:13 AM   #5

Once the suspension is out of the car, it's no big deal. They are a standard coil over spring setup the only parts thats even slightly difficult is taking the old spring out because it's under load. So you use a spring compressor then take the hat off the strut and slowly let out the spring compressor and pull out the spring after. Because Eibach are lowing springs, they take no compression at all (or not much) to install and you can put the new springs in easier than the old ones come out.

I have never re-re'd the suspension in a Boxster, but I can't see it being an 8 hour job. I have done some really messed up cars before and finished them in say 4 hours tops having never done it. The only problem I can see with the boxster is getting to the bolts that hold the top of the strut down, but if guys can install strut bars in an hour or so it can't be that hard to get the suspension out.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Once the suspension is out of the car, it's no big deal. They are a standard coil over spring setup the only parts thats even slightly difficult is taking the old spring out because it's under load. So you use a spring compressor then take the hat off the strut and slowly let out the spring compressor and pull out the spring after. Because Eibach are lowing springs, they take no compression at all (or not much) to install and you can put the new springs in easier than the old ones come out.

I have never re-re'd the suspension in a Boxster, but I can't see it being an 8 hour job. I have done some really messed up cars before and finished them in say 4 hours tops having never done it. The only problem I can see with the boxster is getting to the bolts that hold the top of the strut down, but if guys can install strut bars in an hour or so it can't be that hard to get the suspension out.
Trust me, the rears are a German engineer's revenge for WWII......

To get the lower hub off the strut or to get it low enough to rotate the strut out of the tower you need to dissemble half of the rear suspension including unbolting the half shafts from the trans. There is a shortcut where people remove the hub from the carrier but that can many times end up costing you more time if it doesn't separate cleanly.

I imagine the reason it's such a pain is the way the whole engine / trans is mated to the car. It's built as a complete unit with the suspension then raised into the car as 1 piece rather than being separate from the drive train.

Here's the factory specs for time to R&R the Boxster struts (which would be the same as replacing springs):

Front: (without alignment)
1 side - warranty time 1.7 hrs, book time 1.9
2 sides - warranty time 2.9 hrs, book time 3.8

Rear: (without alignment)
1 side - warranty time 2.8 hrs, book time 4.2 hrs
2 sides - warranty time 4.3 hrs, book time 6.0 hrs

The warranty time allocated to a full suspension R&R is 7.2 hours and we know that Porsche rarely reimburses the dealers for more time than the work actually takes to perform.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914

Last edited by mjw930; 04-16-2006 at 05:38 AM.