Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 04:52 AM   #1

So what is your rule for leaving the top down unattended?

Doing quick errands and the eternal question comes up...Do I leave the top down? After all I will only be a minute...

My rule is never in the city, never if there are kids around and the errand usually has to be 10 minutes or less...

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:35 AM   #2

I am much like you are in this area as well. However over time I have become much more relxaed in this area for 2 reasons. I park my Porsche in a Downtown parking garage and it is wierd. I take out the cd player face with me every day and my car has never been targeted. However, my buddy who has a 2001 Z3 who puts his top up has his broken into like twice a month. I've left mine down thinking hey this way at least they won't break into my top to steal something which isn't there.
Keddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:39 AM   #3

In my driveway and garage.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:00 AM   #4

ditto Brucelee.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:30 AM   #5

never leave the car unattended where you can't physically see it. Stopping into Starbucks fine. Going into 7-11 fine.

Some guys make their living stealing parts off of Porsches. Convertibles must be their favorite target. There was a rash of headlight thefts in SoCal a year ago and that's a $1200 headache you don't need. Those lights can be removed in a blink.

Also the sun is really bad for your interior. I have a softop cover I use during the summer and after only a month the canvas trim around the cover was faded.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:50 AM   #6

I'm casual about this all the way around. I never worry about locking my house up, because even if I did, if someone REALLY wanted to get in, they'd find a way, and whatever - have at it. It's just stuff.

My car is the same thing. I lock it, but never put the top up except to protect the interior from falling tree sap or leaves, and that's if there is no other place to park, as I wouldnt' want to subject the paint to that anyway.

Why spend your life in fear of what might happen?

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #7

I have a 01 2.7 that I bought used.
While in another thread I'm thinking of upgrading to an 03 S, one of the intangible plusses of having an older used daily driver is that I don't worry about it so much.

My car is in pretty good shape but not excellent or pristine. It is my daily driver and not a garage queen. Thus I don't baby it. Or worry about it excessively.

This is not to say I'm careless or reckless. If I'm in a bad neighborhood, I will raise the top. If I'm at work (underground parking or above ground in stalls next to the building), I don't.

Short stays while I'm out doing errands, I don't (depending on neighborhood).

But I live in a decent part of Canada and that helps.

My biggest worry is a sudden rain shower and bird droppings.

Another slight hassle is falling leaves in the fall and, currently, lovely cherry blossoms.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
My little red clips serves me well....Once my top goes down it pretty much stays down for the day. If someone really wanted to take the car theres no stopping them
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #9

this is a good question - especially in light of the recent post about the keyed lexus at south coast - the prob is that some people just can't stand that other people have something nice and look at you leaving the top down as a "rub" or that you're dangling your stuff for the world to envy.

i actually had the last two days off and enjoyed some sunny soCal weather with the top down, taking care of errands etc and found myself challenged with what to when "popping in here, popping in there". I agree with EpiqTodd (til something happens to my car - but then again - its black - I spaz about a frickin piece of debris on it 5 sec after I wash it!) - I've never liked the people who park way at back of the lot, crooked in two spots (that in my opinion, just invites someone to f$%k with your car). I actually left the top down most of the time over the last few days, except for when I was in a place for a couple of hours - hell, birds don't have a ton of discretion!

on wednesday, i came out of a restaurant after lunch to find a guy driving an older 300z walking around my car, looking in the windows, squatting down, looking at the tires. His back was to me the entire time as i approached. Since I didn't see anyone else doing look out for him, I continued to approach. I got close enough and hit the unlock button, thinking maybe the sound would alert him that I was approaching - the whole time I was contemplating how to engage him - was he just admiring the car or casing the car (he was in his mid 20's - loose baggy pants, loud stereo - okay, gotta forgive that one - i love it loud (what? a KISS reference?) - anyway, so I'm thinking, do I throw out, in an intimidating tone 'something I can help you with' and go the dickhead route or do I play it nice at first a see where this goes ? Well, unlocking the car didn't grab his attention, so as i got right up to the car and he's down looking at the wheels, I say "it's nice, isn't it?" (i got burned once in my early 20's checking out some older guys wife in a restaurant - didn't see him as I was watching her walk through the restaurant - he comes up and says, she's nice isn't she?") So, turns out this guys was just admiring the car, so the decision to be civil and neighborly was appropriate. Top wasn't down that time, though. Top wasn't down on the guy's wife, either
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #10

I live in NYC so my top is always down when its parked. Also i never park my car on the public street unless I'm next to it...maybe outdoor cafe,etc.

don't get me wrong but in NYC a lot of resentful people who would love to ding your Porsche.
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
Top wasn't down on the guy's wife, either
Hilarious!

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
Old 04-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer
I live in NYC so my top is always down when its parked. Also i never park my car on the public street unless I'm next to it...maybe outdoor cafe,etc.

don't get me wrong but in NYC a lot of resentful people who would love to ding your Porsche.
You are right, NYC is a completely different story. I feel like I am always on the defense in that city and if I lived there I probably wouldn't feel comfortable owning this car.

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
Old 04-14-2006, 09:03 AM   #13

I believe that some common sense can go a long way with nice cars and the general public. I'm also a firm believer of the red clip.

I guess another question is... How many owners will get out of their car and smooth out the plastic window before the top is all the way down? I always do unless I'm trying to impress a pretty lady at the red light.
spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #14

Always doing the Boxster Chop!

mach schnell - I'm still crying. Funny!!!
Calliedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #15

Lotta concensus on this, I think. Red clip, quick trip.

And I live in Mayberry-by-the-Sea with a very low crime rate.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #16

You all are forgetting something important.

I was in a convenience store, top down, red clip on, and watching the car the whole time.

Paid for my purchase, walked out, and someone had spit gum into the floorboard of the driver's side on my brand new floor mat!

Could have been worse I guess. They could have been aiming for the leather or stereo or whatever and missed.

New rule: Top up if I'm not in the car driving it, or it's in my garage with the door closed (cat problems in the neighborhood).

Keeping the top up while it's outside is also good to keep your interior from getting hard and crusty.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #17

I have an 05 and I leave my top down all the time - what is the little red clip a few of you have mentioned.?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #18

In Hawaii I didn't worry too much about having to put the top up unless I knew I would be away for many hours at a time.....Here in the Illinois suburbs, I wouldn't leave my top down unless I was running into a quickie mart and I could see the car when I go in....Better safe than sorry I say.....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
unless it might rain or i'm parked under a tree or it's "sketchy," top down, windows up -- i worry more about door dings, and park accordingly (in order: as far away as possible, to the far right, then wider spaces, then next to slimmer, sportier cars [at 1.2 occupants per car average, odds are you will get dinged on your passenger side -- the driver to your right]).

i'm sure there are holes in my theory -- when the first ding or diet coke rolls on my interior i'll adapt.

Last edited by bhduxbury; 04-14-2006 at 06:10 PM.
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #20

Around town, the top stays down unless I go into a Mall or something. Definately top up if it is too hot. Black leather and interior is not happy baking in the sun all day. I love going to a restraunt where we can eat outdoors and see the car on a warm summers night. I like to hear the comments from people how it is a perfect evening for "that car"!

Of course good judgement prevails... if your gut tells you to put the top up... follow your instinct. If someone wants to steal the car or parts, ther isnt too much one can do.

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote