Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #1

Question Porsche Front suspension / Arm? Creaking noise?

Hello everyone,

I have owned my 1999 2.5, 986 Boxster for 6 or so months now, and I have in the last few months, found that the car has developed a creaking noise from the front drivers side.

The noise happens mainly in the hot weather, or if the car had been driven for some time if the weather is cold. It is very annoying and at times, through town very embarrassing!

The noise predominantly occurrs whilst turning Right and the noise is fairly global around the inner workings of behind the wheel.

To try and fix this squeaking / creaking noise, I have sprayed grease all around the area and joints etc but this has not resolved the issue.

Please, if anyone has encountered this problem and knows of a fix - I would be very grateful!

I have uploaded a video with the noise on Youtube, at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCAxi71ug2g

Thank you for your time.

Craig

itsmecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

Garage
Maybe this will help you [url]http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29080[url]
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #3

Jager, Thank you, I will have a go at that with in the week

fingers crossed a little WD40 will fix all!

Craig
Old 06-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #4

Smile

Fantastic! I sprayed the WD40 in the rubber and the problem was rectified in seconds! (I also sprayed the door hinges a lil to make them less noisy) so strange how it initially sounds as if the creaking noise is coming from the suspension.

I also managed to stop the heat shield which was wrapped around the pipe of the exhaust from rattling on startup. happy with my Boxster again Thank you

Craig
Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #5

Garage
I’m glad the information in the link helped you.

I removed the heat shields from around the exhaust pipes (easy to do); they collected gravel which caused rattles. I’m not sure what purpose the shields serve anyway?

300K Mile Club

Last edited by Jager; 06-29-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #6

haha, im sure that the 986 can cope with out it. i agree, just something that Porsche can charge a fortune to replace come the time when it will do nothing but rattle!

I honestly can not get over how a little WD40 has solved such an irritating problem! it had been causing me a lot of Boxster rage over the last few months
Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
I’m glad the information in the link helped you.

I removed the heat shields from around the exhaust pipes (easy to do); they collected gravel which caused rattles. I’m not sure what purpose the shields serve anyway?
I've been told that apparently the shields are to prevent flamable debris to have direct contact with the hot metals. Driving or parking over fallen dry leaves for instance. Risks of fire are less. I've been told, I'm not an expert...
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #8

true that! but over here in England, there is little chance of finding a dry leaf! rain is common place in these parts!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmecraig
true that! but over here in England, there is little chance of finding a dry leaf! rain is common place in these parts!
I bet with those walking the strike some leaves will have plenty time to dry Unless Cameron gets all generous and cute suddenly
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #10

What a great and easy fix! Had it back to normal in seconds. Thanks!
airbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #11

Garage
Another satisfied WD40 cutomer!

300K Mile Club
Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #12

Smile

I just fixed mine too! To make it even simpler...I used a hypodermic syringe. Sucked up a little WD-40/light oil mixture and injected it into each boot. Takes seconds and no worries about cutting slits into the boots that may open with time. If I had decided to cut slits...I would definitely recommend wiping down the area first, and then just smear a little silicone sealant over the slit to finish off the job.
e-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #13

Quick Fix Question

Hi I have posted this into another thread ( might be old ) hope that ok....

Hi... I seem to have the same problem... 99 986, just started happening after 3 hour drive on windy road..hot day etc,,,, car seems to handle fine but squeaking on front passenger side is very bad...smaller squeak when wheel moves vertically over say a bump... but really loud when turning the steering right or left ( unbearable ), so my question is assuming it's the bushing, in the ? control arm? Sway bar? ( Novice here ) is
there an issue with doing this...kinda like taking something for the symptoms of an illness to make them go away... but not curing the diesease...if you get my meaning? is there a chance of some catastrophic failure by just masking the squeak?..ie will one wheel go in one direction and the other in another?

I'm having it put up on a ramp tomorrow, and asked the Mechanic to look over the front suspension / shocks everything...just incase ( just had a set of bielstiens put on the back ) one rear shock was gone... was price but was well worth it.... nice tight ride now.
Any Input anyone?

Paul
Imacman 99, 986
IMACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #14

My car made the exact same noise.

I replaced the lower control arms. The bushings on the lower control arm make that sound when they go bad.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
My car made the exact same noise.

I replaced the lower control arms. The bushings on the lower control arm make that sound when they go bad.
+1. Same here. But I did all the suspension parts.

Spraying WD40 might have fixed it but it's only temporary. A full under side car wash or drive in the rain will surely bring it back.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #16

I've spent some time investigating this common issue on our cars. Some high mileage 986s and 996s may truly have "worn" lower control arms (ie, the ball joint is floppy and has vertical movement, or can be yanked by the bolt and you can feel loose play inside).

However, this noise is not always the symptom of a worn out part. It's just dust inside the rubber boot that causes the steel ball joint to rub against the aluminum and make a racket.

WD40. That's stuff is a miracle in a can I tell you, a miracle!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #17

All Done

Thanks for the response, I Took it to my P Mechanic ( Very hard to find up here in Newfoundland... and his shop is busy with some Targa Racing work for some clients.)

They were very familiar with the issue, they put it up on the lift, and injected the grease, and also did rust check treatments on both left & right suspension parts. It only took a few minutes, didn't charge me anything for it, and it worked perfectly.

I decided to replace the parts on both sides, so I had them order in the arms... they were only $85 each, so I figured it's just as well to replace them both... it will also be an opportunity to check/torque/tighten the front end as long as they have it up in the air.

About a month ago, I had a bad "Knock" on the right Rear, so I had it looked at and the right rear shock was blown, so I had them replace the rear shocks. They installed Bilsteins... was a bit pricey for the shocks... but was well worth it no more Knock/Bang and the ride is great. Replacing the rear shocks was not easy, without the "Porsche Shop Compressing Tool thing-a-ma-bob"... to took 2 big dudes to remove & install them.

Thanks

Paul
IMACMAN, Newfoundland 99,986 Triple Bl
Old 08-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #18

3-4 years ago mine started making noise. I bought a needle that attached to my grease gun at Autozone for like $5 and injected grease into the boots. To this day I've never heard them again. Now the sway bar links that's another story. It seems like I change those out every year. They rattle and make so much noise when they go bad. Last set I purchased through O'reilly Auto parts were Moog brand because they came with lifetime waranty, waiting to see how long they last....so far 10,000 miles and still silent.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #19

All Good

Got the car back, with the replacements, The squeaking is of course gone....and there are a few other small rattles & minor clanks, that are gone as well... I guess those were from the worn rubber bushing making some metal on metal contact over bumps, all around much better, and a tighter feel on the road. It was well worth the money.

Imac, NL
Old 07-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
2006 987

Garage
my 987 has been having a similar problem, but it's more when driving or going over bumps.

What caught my eye in your video was when you pressed down on the car it made the noise. That's what I have been doing to mine to demonstrate the noise.

I followed the advice here and spraying WD40 under the rubber on the ball joint, hope that solves it, at least until i can schedule some time with the shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmecraig View Post
Hello everyone,

I have owned my 1999 2.5, 986 Boxster for 6 or so months now, and I have in the last few months, found that the car has developed a creaking noise from the front drivers side.

The noise happens mainly in the hot weather, or if the car had been driven for some time if the weather is cold. It is very annoying and at times, through town very embarrassing!

The noise predominantly occurrs whilst turning Right and the noise is fairly global around the inner workings of behind the wheel.

To try and fix this squeaking / creaking noise, I have sprayed grease all around the area and joints etc but this has not resolved the issue.

Please, if anyone has encountered this problem and knows of a fix - I would be very grateful!

I have uploaded a video with the noise on Youtube, at this link:

Porsche Boxster 986 'creaking' problem - YouTube

Thank you for your time.

Craig