Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Porscheectomy

Permanent Fix to the RMS Leak?

The dealer just did a repair of the RMS leak on my 2000 S. Appearently Porsche has recently modified the repair parts so they replaced not just the seal with a new one, but some bolts and other things as well.

Has anyone that had the leak fixed recently using these latest parts put enough miles on their cars to see if this is finally a permanent fix? I'd like to not revisit this leak again, obviously.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #2

Just a little over a year ago I had the RMS repaired on my 01 Boxster. They replaced the RMS and installed the new bolts you are referring to. I'm not sure yet if it's a permanent fix or not, but I haven't had any leaks since then.
Phil Buxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #3

Hi,

While I hope I'm wrong, I am a little skeptical about there being a permanent fix.

This failure has plagued the M96 engine since it's inception. Porsche is now on a 3rd Gen. replacement Seal and a second set of repair instructions as the first attempts were no real improvement, so we'll see.

That said, of course every Car's Crankcase Seals fail and need replacement at some time in their life, so it will not be the last one if the Car keeps running long enough.

But, hopefully they've cured what has been a premature failure, or at least extended it's usable lifespan...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #4

Smile

Color my cynical and I hope I am wrong!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #5

Jim'99-I agree completely! I sure hope she holds, but I check the floor after every drive looking for the dreaded oil spots. Only time will tell...
Phil Buxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
The dealer just did a repair of the RMS leak on my 2000 S. Appearently Porsche has recently modified the repair parts so they replaced not just the seal with a new one, but some bolts and other things as well.

Has anyone that had the leak fixed recently using these latest parts put enough miles on their cars to see if this is finally a permanent fix? I'd like to not revisit this leak again, obviously.
If you don't mind me asking Blue200S, how much did the dealer want for this fix.

I was alarmed by what might have been an RMS leak discovered during and oil change, but after the oil change, I have not noticed any new oil drips (white plastic taped to floor under the car, checked daily...)

Last edited by socratic; 04-10-2006 at 07:59 PM.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
If you don't mind me asking Blue200S, how much did the dealer want for this fix.

I was alarmed by what might have been an RMS leak discovered during and oil change, but after the oil change, I have not noticed any new oil drips (white plastic taped to floor under the car, checked daily...)
Ed Carroll in Ft Collins, CO. They charge about $1200 but my car's in the last month of the certified used car warranty so I didn't have to pay for it.

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-10-2006 at 08:35 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:32 AM   #8

glad im not the only guy in the world with white plastic taped to the garage floor

Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote