Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
A word of caution............
Great information Steve, thanks for posting. It sounds like wrapping them would be the easiest and most cost efferent. I have never done it before but will start doing my homework on it.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #2

Interesting on the heat issue. The first thing I noticed was the truck didn't get nearly as hot as it use to so I thought I was in the clear on excessive heat.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
I've been running bypass pipes for 4 years/40k miles with no issues. The car is lowered, so angles/clearances may be a bit different.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Great information Steve, thanks for posting. It sounds like wrapping them would be the easiest and most cost efferent. I have never done it before but will start doing my homework on it.
Chuck - I can't say I like wrapping - it works OK but I have very good experience with ceramic coating of exhaust pipes, mostly on motorcycles where you can literally feel the difference by placing your hand on the pipe within a few minutes of stopping the engine. To get the best heat dissipation, the pipes need to be coated on both inner & outer surfaces and it is cost affective - just google your local area for ceramic coatings.....
Old 04-12-2015, 05:07 AM   #5

I have the top speed bypass pipes on my '02 base. My secondary cats had a rattle only when really hot so replacing with these fixed the problem and at a good price too! The car passed a New York State inspection with them as well. As for the CV joint boots, I just replaced all 4 of them. The inside boots were dried out and one outer was cracked. The boots are pretty cheap to replace just a pain dealing with all the cv joint grease.
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Chuck - I can't say I like wrapping - it works OK but I have very good experience with ceramic coating of exhaust pipes, mostly on motorcycles where you can literally feel the difference by placing your hand on the pipe within a few minutes of stopping the engine. To get the best heat dissipation, the pipes need to be coated on both inner & outer surfaces and it is cost affective - just google your local area for ceramic coatings.....
Have to agree with Steve here. I started a thread on wrapping the pipes and found out it makes the metal brittle. There should be a local shop that does the ceramic coating and it shouldn't too cost much.

Didn't know this was an issue to the boots, I just wanted to keep the heat down.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

I like the Mod, nice write up. My biannual CA test had to be done at a Starr smog only facility this year? They said it was because of the cars age (1998)
So after the test and being told I passed, the tech told me the visual inspection was good too and that several revently failed the visual due to various mods. Anyone in CA been through the Starr ?
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote