Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #21
2002 Boxster S

Garage
It may be a bit more expensive to do the routine maintenance, but I paid less for it than a new Smart For Two and I'm driving a FREAKIN PORSCHE every day.

This may mean more to me than to you because I'm in my 60s and have been waiting 40+ years to be able to do this. I'm making up for lost time and intend to leave this world with Porsche keys in my pocket.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #22

i agree, the boxster is probably the car that gets more compliments per dollar in the world, almost 100 times out of 100 people would give me the thumbs up or make a comment about how brautiful the car is. The drwback is that people assume you are loaded not knowing their kias and hyundais are worth more than the boxster.

Funniest reaction was an old men, he got in front of me and started clapping and yelled "what a beautiful car, you got it made"
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #23

I don't use my Boxster as a daily driver, partly because I have a family (wife + two kids) and partly because I don't drive daily.
When it comes to a 997.2 as an upgrade, you should consider the fact that Porsche now only sell cars with forced induction, which most likely will mean that prices for the naturally aspirated cars will rise.

Anyway, it's nice to see that you enjoy your car.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:31 AM   #24

I daily drive it (9 mile commute each way), have had my fair share of small and big ticket repairs (I'm looking at you, tranny rebuilt) While it is in the repair shop for any reason I'm always missing it.
Most fun car for the money hands down. I love it when the kids scream " Nice car!" when I pass them waiting for the school bus.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #25

Our younger son is home for 3 weeks without his car, so my daily driver will be his and I'll be driving my '03 S for my 60 mile commute each way, 600 miles a week. When my daily driver is available to me, I try to drive the Boxster to work at least once a week, but in winter only when/if the roads are clear and there is no snow or bad weather in the forecast. In 1997 I bought a brand new BMW Z3 2.8 - owned it for 6 years and put only 10,000 miles on it. When I decided to get the Boxster S, I got peanuts for the Z3, and decided I would put as many miles as I could on the Boxster. So now after 12.5 years I'm coming up on 58,000 miles, enjoying it as much as I can!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #26

I daily drive my car and I don't find the maintenance to be that bad. Try using a Mercedes SL 600 as a daily driver and you'll know what I mean. It's not the parts are cheaper, it's that the Boxster just has fewer things to fail than a car like that Mercedes.

And I've gotten more comments from women in this car than any car I've ever owned including various convertible Mercedes, a 911 SC, and various BMWs. That was a big surprise. Too bad these Boxsters weren't out when I was single.

But at the end of the day I am inwardly motivated. I don't really care what other people think about the Boxster, I just love it.

Last edited by Roger1965; 05-18-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Roger1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #27
Known Gearhead

Garage
I use my Boxster as my daily driver. Having owned many roadsters over the years, including unreliable British and Italian machines, whatever the running costs of driving this Porsche are, I'm OK with them. I'm definitely in the "YOLO" camp.

The public's reaction to the car is positive; lot's of "Nice car" remarks. But, it does take some restraint to drive the Boxster without offending other drivers. Nobody likes a showoff. Now I understand the old joke: What's the difference between a Porcupine and a Porsche? Well for one thing, a Porcupine's pricks are on the outside.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #28

I've had mine for a little over a year, and it's my daily driver. We had a very mild winter and it was just fine.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #29
I am my own mechanic....

Truck by day or in bad weather, Porsche in evenings, weekends, and sunny weather in general.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #30

Garage
I think the part of the country one is in determines the amount of compliments.
Of course if you catch someone looking at your car they're going to say 'Nice Car'. What would they say "Dude it just a Boxster... Don't get so full of yourself"

I do think one has to drive in such a manner that you don't perpetuate the Porsche driver stereotype

I bought mine originally as a Daily and for a couple years drove it year round, snow, sleet, rain.
I was doing the 12-15k miles/year
Last 2 years, I have had to plan a reason/trip to drive it because I don't need this car as a daily.
This year, it has become a garage queen. I've only put a 1000 miles on it since I changed oil 5-6 months ago. I have spent so many more hours doing preventive maintenance this year then driving it. At least all the accessory items and fluids are new and clean while it sits under a cover in my garage
Old 05-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #31

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I have driven mine daily for the past 3 years. Oil changes, 1 set of tires, 1 set of rear tires, e brake micro switch.

That is all I have had to do. I now have just over 72 000 km and will stick to the recommended maintance items cheap daily driver that is a **************** load of fun

95,000 km still no problems
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #32

Garage
I've had mine since last October, drove it home after I bought it and stored it till last week of April. I put 200 kilometers on it since I took it out I just drive it from home to the golf course mostly as my wife doesn't like it. I have 3 other vehicles so I use my SUV as daily driver.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #33

I drive mine daily 70 miles round trip in little to no traffic, some twisty roads mixed in equal a fun drive. I do plan on getting a daily in the near future as I don't like to pile the miles on the box but don't think I can find something that is nearly as fun to drive. Plus in the summer you can't beat the top down wind in your hair drive.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #34
Certified Boxster Addict

Not drive it? Seriously?

I drive my 911SC daily. Screw the value. Its a Porsche and it was meant to be driven.

Here is my Boxster solution - a spare replacement engine. $2850 including shipping. 75K miles. Complete with all accessories and hoses for a direct swap. Indy shop charges around $1,200 to swap engines so I can be back on the road (or racetrack in my case) for around $4,000.

Just looking at that spare engine makes me smile - no engine worries for me!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote