Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

The first 11,000 miles... In 4 months.

Since December, after purchasing the "beater" and updating the maintenance, I have driven it in all kinds of weather, places, and conditions for 11,000 miles. It has not broken down or stranded me in all that time, although it has needed a few repairs on regular wear items that went over the edge after driving it so much all of a sudden.
So far, an alternator, a radiator cleaning, a hose clamp, a tranny service, and I think that's it. Total investment so far: $8,200.

Now it's going in Monday for its next repair, which I think is going to be a lower control arm on the left rear and to check the source of a periodic fuel smell through the vents. (Emissions? Vent tube perhaps?)
The left rear wheel has been creaking for a little over a week, and this morning I noticed some badly uneven wear on the left tire:
Right

Left

So I guess a pair of tires is now on the list with the control arm. I'm going to have the camber adjusted more neutral while its in the shop.

So that's my update. Still a blast to drive and worth the occasional teething pains.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

11,000 miles in four months? That is awesome!

You are definitely getting your money's worth of fun.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #3

Garage
I'm glad to see that someone else actually drives theirs. We routinely log around 40,000 Porsche miles a year. Can't imagine walking past a Porsche in the garage to get in something else. One of mine is headed to new Orleans next week for the French quarter misic festival, then a west Virginia trip, then sommerfest, then parade, then Yellowstone and escape and hill country in texas and the angola prison rodeo and on and on. The fun keeps coming.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:56 AM   #4

Yes, I've tried to switch to other cars, but they're just not as much fun, and don't feel as comfortable or as well screwed together. The difference is immediately noticeable after getting back in the Boxster, even with its high-ish mileage.
I thought I'd get too used to it, but no. Every day I look forward to that straight line clearing or that occasional back road S curve to give it a bit of a blast and plant another smile on my face.
40,000 a year is awesome! Even more than my annual mileage. I love hearing it.

PS: the tire was just the result of a bad rear alignment (still needed the arm, but it wasn't the cause of the tire wear), and the fuel smell was the sending unit seal on top of the tank. All relatively easy fixes.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 04-08-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:34 AM   #5

Garage
Drive it!

That is awesome. I don't understand why some people make garage queens out of their Boxsters. I bought my 2000 three years ago with 51,000 miles on it and have put just over 12,000 miles a year on it. I live in Michigan so my driving season is April to the end of October. I always drive the Boxster when it is an option. It never stops being that much fun to drive.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:16 AM   #6

That is great. That's a ton of miles in four months and some of that in bad weather to boot.

I have been on both sides of the road. I had a 993 cab that was a daily driver that I ran up to 100,000 trouble free miles before selling it for a 993 turbo garage queen. The Boxster has been a queen since day one. I believe I have more time waxing and mod'ing it than I do driving it. But when I drive it, I love it. One problem I have it I will not drive it if I am going less than 10 miles. I want to drive it until the oil is fully heated. The second is where I am going to park it. I am way to particular where it sits parked.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote