Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #1

I broke my steering wheel clock spring - how to correct install?

I have a 98 Boxster. When I removed my steering wheel to install a 4-stalk (for Cruise control and OBC) the airbag clock spring went "sproing" and unwound.

I tried to follow the instructions printed on in, which basically said to wind it all the way one way, and then back off some number of turns and align the arrows. My problem is that I could never get the thing to stop winding. It didn't move very smoothly. I ended up putting it in the middle somewhere and reinstalling.

All was fine for a week, but last night it suddenly started clicking and this morning the steering wheel bound up backing out of the driveway. I continued the turn, and it must have broken inside. The steering is great now, but no horn and the airbag light is on.

I ordered a new part, but wanted to get some advice on installation.

Has anyone installed a new one? Will it come already in the centered position? After last time I don't really want to break it, this was a $245 mistake for me.

I've heard people tape them to keep it from moving, but how can you get the tape off when the steering wheel is installed?

The little tabs on the old unit were half gone - but I'm not sure what they do anyway. Those little tabs can't be what moves the spring? They have little "forks" on the ends - why? Here are the forks:
post-4-1209120566_thumb.jpg

DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
Usercpy

Garage
Maybe this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hux78ZoPcAI