Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #1

California tags question

I have my 2001 boxster up for sale and I'm not driving it in the meantime. It's parked with a cover on it. The tags are coming due in May and I'd really rather not pay for another year when the car is about to sell. This is in California, by the way. Does anyone know what my options are? Can I just not pay it? Should I pay for the Planned No Operation (PNO) tags? Or am I forced to renew the tags?

Thanks!

miles4jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #2

I have my 2001 boxster up for sale and I'm not driving it in the meantime. It's parked with a cover on it. The tags are coming due in May and I'd really rather not pay for another year when the car is about to sell. This is in California, by the way. Does anyone know what my options are? Can I just not pay it? Should I pay for the Planned No Operation (PNO) tags? Or am I forced to renew the tags?

I'm thinking the alternatives to paying aren't such good ideas...

I got a ticket last month for having an expired registration on one of my cars while it was street-parked, although it didn't have a cover on it....by a meter maid.

If your car is driven (for example) during a test-drive or even parked on a street you don't qualify for PNO. If caught under these conditions, there's additional fees involved (on-top of the registration you didn't pay).

If your car sells past May and there are registration fees + late fees accruing, the onus then goes to the buyer to pay your delinquent fees, before re-registering. I don't think that's going to be a good selling point. Your car is 5-6 years old, so it's going to require a smog-check upon change of ownership anyway (which probably means you, if you sell it to a private party).

The two-sticker system makes out-of registration cars too easy to spot, I don't think it's really worth it to save < 200 bucks. But if it's a big deal, I'd be trying real hard to sell that car before May.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles4jazz

Thanks!

If you do not renew the tags, the clock keeps ticking and a penalty accrues at a fairly high rate. You may want to go PNO to avoid this.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #4

As pointed out above, you are required by law to smog the car BEFORE you sell it. Some smog stations will not do a smog on an expired car, some will.

Moreover, you are required to tell the buyer that fees are do before you sell the car. Most buyers will ask anyway and/or spot the plate.

Best renew as suggested.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #5

I'd do the PNO registration AT THE LEAST!!!!

More over when comparing your car to the next, the smog check is a real key factor in the decision making process because it validates (for the most part) that the car is in good working order (motor not blown, headgasket not blown).

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZTACO
I'd do the PNO registration AT THE LEAST!!!!

More over when comparing your car to the next, the smog check is a real key factor in the decision making process because it validates (for the most part) that the car is in good working order (motor not blown, headgasket not blown).

KRZ
In CA, it is actually illegal for a seller to sell a car without having the smog done first. Many buyers don't know that and end up having to do it themselves.

Costs money too!

Old 04-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #7

CA cars 2003 and newer do not have to be smogged before sale.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #8

I'll wait till the last moment then buy new tags for it

Thanks for the responses!

miles4jazz is offline   Reply With Quote