Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Anyone in the Chicago area interested in checking out a 986 for me? (Compensation)

There is a 2000 Boxster S in Champaign, IL that I'm interested in. Since I live in Michigan about 4 and a half hours away, I want to be sure this is something worth taking the trip down to look at.

I'm looking for someone in the Chicago area who would be wiling to either look at the car and give it a test drive and let me know if it's worth me coming down to possibly purchase.

I will compensate for your time and advice. I'm not sure what the going rate is on something like this, but I will make it worth your time to help me out.

hamburglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:33 AM   #2

Garage
If your not able to find someone, perhaps you can get the owner to bring the car to a garage or dealer to do an inspection on it and get them to email you the report... this might help if your not able to find someone.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:03 AM   #3

Just a side note, when I was shopping for a Boxster 2 years ago I went into it a little blind. Unless you really know someone do not take their word that the IMS bearing has been replaced, and if they show you paper work call the garage that did the work and verify....easy to fake this paperwork or just say that this has been done these days.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #4

I am not aware of any qualified Porsche shop in the Champaign area (home of the Fighting Illini University of Illinois). About the closest place to do a PPI would be Isringhausen Porsche in Springfield (85 miles away). Chicago area indy shops are about 180 miles away.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #5

I did find this place in Champaign that seems to do Porsche work. They advertise that they do a PPI on their "services" page but I don't know how qualified they are. I guess it would be better than nothing, as I'm not going to be able to get the owner to drive almost 200 miles to Chicago and the surrounding neighborhoods to a Porsche mechanic I have seen recommended for a PPI.

Rick's Automotive Service Inc. - Home

hamburglar is offline   Reply With Quote