Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Tire Inflator Recommendations for Track

I have a great garage inflator...plugs into the wall, long cord...sucky gauge...but I expect that.

I'm thinking about going to track events where I expect to increase and decrease pressure before and after racing.

I've had a couple of portable (cigarette lighter) units I haven't been very happy with. I'd like something that can relatively rapidly increase pressure and not burn out the cars electrics....Ideally, under $150....don't want to run air tools, or clear out drains...just for track days and just for tires and something that works well.

Recommendations?

Fromlouky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Registered Boxster abuser

look for inflators that the off roaders use as the generic cheaper ones will get hot enough to unsolder the joints at the moto during prolong use

just to show what some of the cheap ones do as well as the expensive ones.

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodreview/inflatortest/inflatormain.htm

Last edited by healthservices; 03-23-2015 at 09:43 AM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

The Superflow MV50 compressor sold by Pepboys, O'Reily's and other outlets is actually a surprisingly good portable 12 volt compressor for around $60. It clips onto the battery because it draws too many amps to use a cigarette lighter socket. I've used them on my Jeep for tires up to 33 inches tall and was surprised at how good that little inexpensive compressor really is. It actually competes well against much more expensive compressors.

My current offroad Jeep has big 35 x12.50 (315/75-16) inch tires so I use a 20lb CO2 tank and it's super fast and allows you to run air tools off of it. I can fill around fifty 35 inch tires from 15 psi to 32 psi before I even start checking how much is left in the tank. You can refill the cylinder for under $20 at places that service beverage tanks for restaurants, grow shops, home brew supply stores and fire extinguisher businesses. For the small volume of air required for your low profile Porsche tires you could probably get multiple racing seasons off of a single tank full of liquid CO2 even with a 10lb tank. I like it because its very fast and silent, and you can piece them together pretty cheaply. There is no reason to buy the expensive tank systems in the link Healthservices provided.

For your purposes, I'd recommend the inexpensive MV50. It should do exactly what you need. I carry mine in my daily driver all the time.

Last edited by Dave S.; 03-23-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

Racing or DE?

Most (all) tracks have air readily available. Just invest in a good gauge and maybe an air line (but again they usually have one readily available).

For pressure at DE, keep a good log of where you set cold PSI to first thing in AM. Then check pressure immediately coming off each session and quickly adjust down to where you ideally want to end. Once you know delta you can easily set cold PSI before starting day (based on conditions) and really shouldn't need to adjust too much from there except for extremes.

That said, I carry a Slime branded kit with compressor like the Superflow MV-50 in link provided above. This is the JIC for my trailer and tow vehicle en route.

Good luck
Old 03-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
I bought a small foot operated tire pump at Walmart for $15. works great.
maybe 10-15 pumps to raise the pressure 4-5 psi. Much quicker than those 12v inflators
very low effort
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

If you decide to use one of the low cost units, do not allow the unit to overheat and allow the unit to cool between uses. Just using the cheaper unit should be okay to fill up and down 5-10 psi but i myself would not recommend them for repeated prolong use. I see my dad with various cheap units that burn out. The last one was one that was part of a jumper/light/compressor from costco.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #7

Comments on this type of unit?

6 gal. 1.5 HP 150 PSI Professional Air Compressor
Old 03-24-2015, 07:14 AM   #8

I use this one and it has been good so far, but then like healthservices said I am only adding a few lbs here and there. Mostly I am letting out at the track when they get really hot, and if there is a tank (and there usually is) I use that to fill back up before going home. I mostly use it at autocross when there is no tank available.

Amazon.com: Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor: Automotive
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromlouky View Post
Probably good around the house but I wouldn't want to lug it around with me places. For around the house I have another one of theirs:

8 gal. 2 HP 125 PSI Oil Lube Air Compressor

It has been good so far as well.

For gauge I have been using this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00404WDUC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #10

I use this for inflating tires. Pancake Air Compressor - 3 Gallon, 100 PSI

Bought mine for $40 when they have discounts.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #11

At home I check tires every few weeks (I don't drive much) and use a really good inflator...one I've had a couple of years.

The two times each year I go to a road track, there is usually air available....but when out at a track (like Autocross) where air isn't available and I want to add 5 to 8 PSI, I would like to carry a portable....and do not want one of the cheap inflators you can find at KMART.

So...
Steve D0X, probably close to what you recommended.
cas951 - I may also look into the Pancake...if it's portable and I can use it away from the house
Dave S. - Superflow MV 50 is also a contender (from design, it looks like it may have been produced by VIAIR? Looks just like the VIAIR 400P