Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #1

Front hood latch

So I finally got to experience what I've read about regarding the circle of fun with the front hood and the battery dying. My front hood latch failed right before I went out of town for 2 weeks so I couldn't use my battery maintainer. The battery drained down now it won't start. Off to my mechanic to fix. What did I learn from this? I should have done the tow hook/hood release mod a long time ago.

oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
What did I learn from this?
Not to transport the Boxster to the shop on the underside of the trailer.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:07 AM   #3

Question-how did the failing front latch cause the battery to drain? You suspect the light? I thought the light automatically turns off after a certain amount of time, say 30 mins or an hour. I have seen my car do it so it's true. How old is your battery?
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #4

My battery is about 2 years old But the car sat without running for 2 weeks. Normally I use a battery maintainer, but without being able to open the lid I couldn't this time. The battery drained down once before while my mechanic had it for a couple weeks, so I'm going to replace the battery along with the latch. Makes me wonder how long you can let a boxster sit without starting without the battery draining all the way down, assuming the battery is fully charged and good.

Last edited by oc-boxster; 03-22-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:56 AM   #5

I go for weeks sometimes and all is good, the only time mine died was when I left the key in, my battery was mfg June 2011.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:19 AM   #6
Luckyed

Garage
I run my battery tender through the cigarette lighter. Avoids the issue with the front trunk.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
My battery is about 2 years old But the car sat without running for 2 weeks. Normally I use a battery maintainer, but without being able to open the lid I couldn't this time. The battery drained down once before while my mechanic had it for a couple weeks, so I'm going to replace the battery along with the latch. Makes me wonder how long you can let a boxster sit without starting without the battery draining all the way down, assuming the battery is fully charged and good.
My battery is now almost 4 years old and I regularly go for 2 to 3 weeks without starting it, all the while using the car to test and align customers headlights.
Even after that, the battery cranks fast and hard as if it was not affected at all.

You either have a bad battery or a slight parasitic drain. When your mechanic drained the battery, he really should've replaced it because they are never the same after that.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
My battery is now almost 4 years old and I regularly go for 2 to 3 weeks without starting it, all the while using the car to test and align customers headlights.
Even after that, the battery cranks fast and hard as if it was not affected at all.

You either have a bad battery or a slight parasitic drain. When your mechanic drained the battery, he really should've replaced it because they are never the same after that.
Particle, yours is a '99 and his is an '01+. The '01s have more of a drain because of the 'improved' central locking unit (CLU/Immobilizer box/'thingy that gets wet and kills the car'). Still, 2 weeks from full charge to dead sounds like time for a new battery or check on the voltage regulator.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:00 AM   #9

I had a discussion with my mechanic and he is ging to replace the battery at his expense. He agrees the car should have started after just 2 weeks if the battery was good.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

New front hood latch is very smooth and quiet. My mechanic charged my battery then did a load test. He said it didn't pass and I should replace it. Took the car to pep boys where I bought the battery and they tested it and said its good so they won't replace on pro-rate. I would like to replace the battery because I no longer trust it. Any suggestions Other that paying full price for a new one?