Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
2 fast 4 U

Coolant Refill Problem

I just finished replacing my coolant expansion tank and drained the whole cooling system in the process. I started refilling the system using Pedro's Garage procedure but I have only put in about 4 litres so far and it's not going into the system just the tank is full and it isn't going into the system. I know I have to start the car to start to bleed it but right now the only coolant in the system is in the tank. WHat am I missing I don't want to start the car with no coolant in the engine.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye280z View Post
I just finished replacing my coolant expansion tank and drained the whole cooling system in the process. I started refilling the system using Pedro's Garage procedure but I have only put in about 4 litres so far and it's not going into the system just the tank is full and it isn't going into the system. I know I have to start the car to start to bleed it but right now the only coolant in the system is in the tank. WHat am I missing I don't want to start the car with no coolant in the engine.
The correct method is to use a vacuum filling tool like the Uview Airlift system, which will refill the system without any chance of air pockets in just a couple of min.

Alternative "burping" methods can work, but they are time consuming, inconsistent, and can result in other problems.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #3

and replace the coolant cap with a new one. Burping it will never work without a cap that can't hold a seal due to age. And you'll drive yourself nuts in the process. There's no messing around with the coolant system on these cars. All it takes is one hot pocket to burn your tongue.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

Did you pull the coolant and heater hoses off the engine?
Old 03-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

I know some guys do this the hard way by burping the system gradually but, having used the Uview method, I think it is the only way to go. It does require a decent air compressor but that is also money well spent if you are going to work on cars.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #6

My little 4 gallon compressor works. I think the instructions call for 10 IIRC.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
2 fast 4 U

If I get the uview tool will I be abe to use it if the coolant tank has liquid in it now or will I have to drain the system again?

Why do you need a new cap if you are trying to burp it I would think you would want to leave the cap off to burp the system.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye280z View Post
If I get the uview tool will I be abe to use it if the coolant tank has liquid in it now or will I have to drain the system again?

Why do you need a new cap if you are trying to burp it I would think you would want to leave the cap off to burp the system.
The Uview system can draw vacuum on the system as long as the tool is above the coolant level in the tank. You may encounter air surges as air comes out of the system, and if that results in the coolant hitting the tool, a small amount of the coolant will be pulled out by the tool. But because the Uview system vents out a separate line, you can catch any of this in a bucket and reintroduce it later.