Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #21

Questions from a prospective Boxster owner

Here is my two cents.

Basic maintenance on a Boxster should be cheap and easy.

1) I have a 1999 Boxster that I bought three years ago with 104,000 miles. I have 170,00 miles on it now.

2) I do my own oil & filter changes every 10,000 miles. I either get Mobil 1 10w/40 High mileage at Walmart in 5 gallon jugs or Royal Purple 20W/50 in one quart containers. I am waiting for Mobil 1 Extended Performance to come out in 10W/40 or 20W/50 weight. My oil filters and drain plug washers come from Pelican Parts. I am a retired Soldier so I have access to a lift ($4.00 per hour) and all the tools I can use for free on post at the auto craft shop. Plus they have mechanics to give you pointers.

3) I've changed all four rotors and brake pads at the auto craft shop. All the parts I got from RockAuto except for the brake kit (extra springs, nuts, bolts and brake sensors that I got from Pelican Parts). The total cost of the pads and rotors was $162.00. It took me three hours on the lift ($12.00).

4) I've changed my spark plugs numerous times. I go to Pelican Parts and look up the proper spark plugs and then go buy them from RockAuto.

5) I just bought four (4) oxygen senors from RockAuto for $84.00 each, but I had a muffler shop install them for me.

6) One of the easiest things to replace is the accessory drive belt on the engine. I have not done that myself because when it is time to replace it (according to Excellence Magazine) you should also replace the water pump too and I just take it to my local mechanic. Excellence Magazine recommends the belt and water pump be replaced every 60,000 miles. I've had them replaced twice now.

Just my two cents.

MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #22

Go to FLAT6BOX - Home
There you will find most of what you need to know in terms of costs associated with owning a Boxster.
I don't have an answer for #1 and 2.

3) How is the top for wear? I’ve never owned a cabriolet, and I’m not keen on seeing “new top!” “top just replaced!” in many of the ads I’m reading.

My top is almost 13 years old and in great condition. I made it worse by trying to open the top in cold temperatures, which caused my rear plastic window to crack. Replaced the plastic window for $300 U.S.

4) What is the Porsche recommended service interval for the Boxster? When does it occur (time and mileage) and what is involved with said service? I see a lot of sub 60k mile cars on the market, I’m guessing these are being unloaded to avoid a major service cost.

There is a regular check at 60,000 miles where they inspect fluids, suspension parts, etc. Other than that, oil change every 10,000 miles recommended. Manual transmission oil change at 90,000 miles. Automatic transmission oil change I believe every 30-45,000 miles.

5) How hard is it to do general maintenance to the Boxster? Can I get to the plugs easily? With the right tools, 35 minute job. Airfilter? 7 minute job easy. Oil change? 30 minute job easy. Clutch? Very complicated. I have done most repairs and maintenance myself, and I am no mechanic. I have installed exhaust system, intake system, serpentine belts, brake pads, and more.

6) My daughter is still young, and lightweight, and I have a natural detestation towards airbags. Can a DIYer install the passenger side airbag immobilizer? How much does this part(s) cost? Can the airbag be deactivated without the use of a special seat?

As long as your daughter does not have the seat adjusted all the way to the front, the air bag will not hurt her.

7) This vehicle will be driven a helluva lot more than the ones I’m seeing on the market (I’ve put 80k miles on my audi in the past four years, and that time was split with another two vehicles) and my priority after the fact of smile factor is cost of ownership. Will a standard Boxster be that much more affordable to maintain than the S? Or is the cost irrelevant between the two/three engines?

Maintenance/Repair Cost is roughly the same. They share like 98.2% of parts and both have 6 cylinder engines. Gas and insurance will cost more for the S.

8) Is there a way to disable ABS by way of a switch?

Possibly by removing the fuse. You want to disable airbags and ABS. Death wish?

9) I figured out how to adjust the reach of the steering wheel, does it have a tilt?

NO. But we all wish it did.

10) Are the interiors generally worse for wear? Or are the examples I’m seeing simply been beaten upon?

My interior still looks like new for the most part. And I eat in my car. I guess the ones you see were owned by people who did not clean their interiors, or maybe they left the top down in rain.

11) Aside from the obvious (it’s a Porsche, it has a soul lacking in other cars) why should I get a used Boxster over a new Miata or lightly used S2k.

Had the same train of thought. Almost bought a new MX-5 at one point since it is barely slower 0-60. Almost bought an S2000 since it is faster and more reliable. But the S2000's were more expensive with higher mileage and had less trunk space by far. The MX-5 only reaches 125mph. The Boxster reaches 149-156mph for base models depending on the year. I actually go to the race track. I need a car that reaches 140mph+. Also, ratings say the Boxster handles slightly better than a Miata(MX-5).
Old 09-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #23

Garage
very good.
Vinney52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #24

I'm on my 5th Porsche, 3rd Boxster. If you can afford it get an 2003. There were lots of improvements that year. Replaced my 1999 with a 2003 and it is a lot better car in every way. A lot of people on this and other boards will say get the "S". Save yourself some $$$ and get the base...it is just as much fun and the extra HP makes no difference in your dailey driving experience.
Jim 'n' SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC View Post
.....Save yourself some $$$ and get the base...it is just as much fun and the extra HP makes no difference in your dailey driving experience.
But what about the weekend driving experience?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
But what about the weekend driving experience?
I'm having as much fun as you are with my base with 13 more HP! :dance:
Jim 'n' SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC View Post
I'm having as much fun as you are with my base with 13 more HP! :dance:
Oh, I know Especially since you are in NC, with much better scenery and closer drives

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote