Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #21
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah; who cares! Show us the temperature in July or August when it's 115°. If we wanted to live in "hotter than hell," then we'd all move to Tucson (I was born there and I couldn't leave soon enough !).
Oh yeah!, well you say that now, but you have to drive around the Grand Tetons, and around lake Jackson, Yellowstone, and through the mountains and forests and grasslands, past moose, elk, buffalo and other world class natural scenery... and somehow I think maybe I'm not making my point... or maybe I am.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #22
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Snow covered roads in Oklahoma scare me. I grew up in New Hampshire and Maine, lived in Germany for six years (Bad Kreuznach und Ansbach), and spent a couple winters in the 'lake effect' by Tug Hill, NY.

A light snow in Oklahoma is worse. There are no fleets of snow plows and sand trucks. The base of the snow is usually ice. Nobody has snow tires and few people have experience driving in it. Every 'cowboy' (and Indian) with a 4x4 thinks he is invincible and has to get out on the road and drive like it was dry pavement in the summer. The body shops can't keep up.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #23
Toppy

Garage
With all the salt on the roads in SW Ontario, I have a 2 rain rule to wash it off the roads before I take my car out. This year it is looking like another 4 weeks at least
Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #24

It's the reason I have a beater-Boxster, not that I wouldn't still be upset if it got hit. Besides it just doesn't get that bad here. A week, maybe two at most of light to moderate snow per year.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:22 AM   #25
Rennzenn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Snow covered roads in Oklahoma scare me. I grew up in New Hampshire and Maine, lived in Germany for six years (Bad Kreuznach und Ansbach), and spent a couple winters in the 'lake effect' by Tug Hill, NY.

A light snow in Oklahoma is worse. There are no fleets of snow plows and sand trucks. The base of the snow is usually ice. Nobody has snow tires and few people have experience driving in it. Every 'cowboy' (and Indian) with a 4x4 thinks he is invincible and has to get out on the road and drive like it was dry pavement in the summer. The body shops can't keep up.
OK sounds a lot like VA.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppy986 View Post
With all the salt on the roads in SW Ontario, I have a 2 rain rule to wash it off the roads before I take my car out. This year it is looking like another 4 weeks at least
Bite your tongue lad, another 4 weeks.... Around town, the melting snow will take care of most of the salt - the highways might be a different matter though.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #27

My DD.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #28

Quote:

PS: That is all so true!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah; who cares! Show us the temperature in July or August when it's 115°. If we wanted to live in "hotter than hell," then we'd all move to Tucson (I was born there and I couldn't leave soon enough !).
This is my time to gloat! Allow me this pleasure

Of course from May through October is when it becomes severely unpleasant to be driving around in a black car with black leather seats. That's when it gets garaged and put on the battery tender.
desert_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
You have just described the exact same thing as we have here in the UK.

M4SGK1986 is offline   Reply With Quote