Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #21
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
I agree, Oklahoman's are the worst inclement weather drivers.
I've never driven in Oklahoma, but here in Houston when there is ice on the road, nobody slows down. Ice on the freeway means less people out there so you can go 85 instead of 75. If there's no ice on the roadway, why would there be ice on the overpasses? When the rear end slides, either do nothing and hope for the best, or wildly whip the wheel back and forth, hoping for the best. If actual ice or snow ends up on the roads here, it's an accidentpalooza. When there is even a little bit of ice or snow on the roads here, I stay home.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #22

Garage

We are tired of this snow! ..lol I miss my box..
flete25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I've never driven in Oklahoma, but here in Houston when there is ice on the road, nobody slows down. Ice on the freeway means less people out there so you can go 85 instead of 75. If there's no ice on the roadway, why would there be ice on the overpasses? When the rear end slides, either do nothing and hope for the best, or wildly whip the wheel back and forth, hoping for the best. If actual ice or snow ends up on the roads here, it's an accidentpalooza. When there is even a little bit of ice or snow on the roads here, I stay home.
I bet it is nuts down there. I have driven in Houston and the beltway can be crazy.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #24

i think the snowfall in the north east is really severe checking your photos. keep safe everyone
roma7845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
We do not get enough snow here in Oklahoma to warrant a dedicated winter set of tires. I am on summer tires and I was fine yesterday. It is just driving within your capabilities and not over doing it. Just be smart.
That's it right there.
I've driven for 30 years without a set of snow tires and have never once ditched or wrecked a car. The first 20 of those years was in old domestic rear wheel drive cars with no traction control, anti-lock, or computers. Got along fine.
I see plenty of monster 4x4 trucks and SUVs with winter tires in the ditch. They're usually the ones speeding along and weaving through traffic like there's nothing on the road. Winter tires, traction control, etc., while beneficial, don't save one from being a drooling idiot.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 02-25-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I've never driven in Oklahoma, but here in Houston when there is ice on the road, nobody slows down. Ice on the freeway means less people out there so you can go 85 instead of 75. If there's no ice on the roadway, why would there be ice on the overpasses? If actual ice or snow ends up on the roads here, it's an accidentpalooza.
Pretty much the same here.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #27

Yeah, it must be tough to have to deal with snow and cold. Wouldn't know what that's like....
Old 02-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #28
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Rather balmy in the Peg is it?
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #29

Oh yeah, beach weather totally.

You guys down south shouldn't feel too bad about having difficulty with snow. When they get more than a few inches in Toronto they have to call in the army to help them dig out.