Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Key Information Tag

I found this key and data tag among the stuff in a box of documents that came with my new-to-me 2000 Boxster base. Can I get a key made, or programmed, using the information on this tag?

Attached Images

Old 02-16-2015, 05:30 AM   #2

Nobody?

Nobody caresto comment? Csn i take these to a dealer and get a key programmed or do I need to take the car too?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
If I recall correctly (and I may be entirely wrong here), that code is definitely useful for getting a new key made and remote/Immobilizer programmed. However, I think that it may still entail a trip to the dealer for it to be coded with the cluster.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
X GI

I wonder if that's the "valet" key? I don't have one and have never seen one but most cars come with one that only unlocks doors/starts car. No trunk access, etc..
1999 Boxster
SJEFFB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #5

Garage
yes I had the same thing in my 03 boxster...I brought that key to the dealer and all I had to do was buy the key fob..and they program it for me...save that tag cause it saves you a lot of headache in the future.
flete25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #6

Garage
fyi.. that key will open the doors but it wont turn on the car
flete25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
If I recall correctly (and I may be entirely wrong here), that code is definitely useful for getting a new key made and remote/Immobilizer programmed. However, I think that it may still entail a trip to the dealer for it to be coded with the cluster.
OK, thank you very much for the info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJEFFB986 View Post
I wonder if that's the "valet" key? I don't have one and have never seen one but most cars come with one that only unlocks doors/starts car. No trunk access, etc..
I'll try it some day, but I suspect you're right....there's no insides to this key, so no chip etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flete25 View Post
yes I had the same thing in my 03 boxster...I brought that key to the dealer and all I had to do was buy the key fob..and they program it for me...save that tag cause it saves you a lot of headache in the future.
Beautiful, thank you! I also have another spare main key that was never programmed, according to the previous owner.
Quote:
Thanks very much!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
That code is only good for the key to which it was attached. Its only use would be to program said key into a new or different immobilizer.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
That code is only good for the key to which it was attached. Its only use would be to program said key into a new or different immobilizer.
Really. Well in that case it's not much use to me!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
What would be the point of a key that can open the doors but not turn the car on? Most vehicles have a valet key - but the point of a valet key is so the valet can park your car - but not get access to trunks and glove boxes. What am I missing here with this idea?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #11

In the car industry, if it's a valet key, then you can use it to open the door and start the engine but you cannot open the glovebox- equivalently, the center console. I had a key programmed for $60 in my area, cheapest of three dealership - A FIVE MIN JOB!

I don't have a valet key but that key looks like it has a transponder chip w/ the little nub sticking out parallel to key shaft.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:28 AM   #12
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
What would be the point of a key that can open the doors but not turn the car on? Most vehicles have a valet key - but the point of a valet key is so the valet can park your car - but not get access to trunks and glove boxes. What am I missing here with this idea?
To lock the doors when you are at the beach?