Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2015, 07:53 AM   #1

Very creaky and squeaky

Hi All

Boxster 986, 2004. It has just had coffins, arms, inner and outer track rods, drop links and anti roll bar bushes changed as car was weaving on the motorway. 4 wheel alignment done. 4 x new Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres being fitted tomorrow.

Just took it out for a run and it is really creaky and squeaky when driving. Wasn't too bad on the motorway but on other roads it is terrible. Pushing down on the wings gives no noise at all. I also sprayed the door rubbers, bonnet and boot rubbers and all round the roof rubbers and plastics with silicon spray. Sprayed all the linkages with spray grease.

The creaky, squeaky noise persists.

Any ideas of how I can sort this?

Cheers

Dave

Old 02-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Front? Rear? Interior? Under what conditions? New or did this before? Change with speed? Can you feel anything when noise occurs?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

It seems to be coming from in front of the dash and also sounds like the left hand side door is creaking. Was doing it before but have changed lots of the suspension components. Doesn't creak when you push down on the wings now just when you are driving.

I am not sure where else to spray with silicon. I am wondering if it is something to do with the original struts, maybe the strut mounts???
Old 02-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #4

with the squeaks, I generally sprat everything rubber with silicone spray. the suspension will generally get more than one liberal application so it can penetrate real well.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Get a cut away view of the suspension and steering. There's really only so much under there. It will make more sense and you can figure where it's coming from. Maybe from interior trim?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Is it more pronounced when starting and stopping? If it is, it could be the Shock Mount Bearing Plate.

Porsche Shock Mount Bearing Plate Kit Front Upper 996 997 986 987 Boxster | eBay
Old 02-15-2015, 10:19 PM   #7

Its not more pronounced when starting or stopping. It is worse when going along a less than smooth road (almost every road in Scotland). On a smoother motorway it eases off unless there is a rough spot.

Someone on Boxa.net said they had a similar issue and it was the strut top mounts. Is there an easy way to lube them?

Something I just remembered, a while ago when I washed the car, I thoroughly rinsed under the wheel arches with the hose and the car was silent for while but not sure if it was because water had lubed something on the roof or suspension. I will try just soaking under the arches to see if that narrows the problem down.