Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #1

What is the value of "blown" core engines

Just posted such an engine for sale in that area of the forum. I really have no idea what it is worth and wanted to get some information from others who have made such a sale. Even though mine is a 2.7L, I'd also be interested in 3.2L motors. Obviously, the price you get/got is dependent upon the extent of the damage. There is another member who has a "blown" 3.2L that is try to decide to rebuild, replace, or sell as is. His motor has bearing damage. Mine has no compression in two cylinders. So, if you reply, please include the condition of the engine as well as the price. Lets not include shipping.

Once again, appreciate the conversation.

Thanks
Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

I had mine engine replaced several months ago. The original engine jumped timing and had broken valves and damage to cylinder 2. The core return ranged from $2500 to $0. I got 2k.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I bought a perfectly good WORKING 90K mile 2.5L base engine for $1,800 (its in my race car right now) so selling a core for $2K was a pretty good deal for you.

Condition/damage generally isn't really relevant (as long as there are no gaping holes in the cases) because once something fails in a M96, then everything in the engine is suspect and the entire thing needs to come apart and be properly rebuilt and its very hard to know what can be kept vs what needs to be replaced without a full disassembly and inspection.

Typically, a Boxster core is $1,000-$1,500, but it can vary depending on seller, buyer, location, and how badly someone needs to buy it or sell it.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

Have you PM'd Jake or Porscheland? Jake might be interested because it's a three chain 2.7. Porscheland (I think that was his screen name) I believe is from your neck of the woods. If they're not interested in it, they might tell you what they think it's worth. If I were you, I would take it apart and sell it piece by piece on Ebay. Whatever doesn't sell goes in the scrap pile.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #5

Not trying to hijack this thread But what a running 2.7 go for?
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:59 AM   #6

Appreciate the responses. I have not yet contacted Jake or Porscheland - who yes, is only a couple of hours away - because I didn't have all the info I anticipated they would want as to what failed. Jake did post that he was interested in a 3.2 with bad bearings which I then posted asking for a ball park number for such an engine, but he didn't reply.

Agree with thstone post that whoever buys the core is probably going to need to disassemble it to get it totally clean of debris (if any) and will then drop in new bearings, etc. for rebuild.

As to JarrodBlake post about values of running 2.7L, they are generally in the 3K range for average mileage used engines on eBay. Rebuilts can be twice that, and if given the Raby treatment, which is worth every penny if you can afford it, is three times used, or more. 03-04 are a little hard to find though if that is what you are looking for.

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote