Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 06:26 AM   #1

Front End Suspension Questions

Hi Fellow Forum Members!

Hi Fellow Forum Members - I am looking for some guidance on parts, as I start the process of rebuilding the front end suspension on our 98 Boxster. Listing my queries below, and would appreciate guidance from all the knowledge that resides on the forum:

Front Shocks: I need to replace both and am looking at the a) Bilstein, Heavy Duty b) Bilstein, Sport.
I am leaning towards getting the sport, but will it make the ride really harsh in compassion to the heavy duty?
Whilst the swap is made to the new shocks do I also need to buy and install a) a new strut bearing b) a new strut mount.

Next in line would be all the front bushings, but want to get this shocks out of the way first. Appreciate the input.

Britrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #2

When doing the shocks I would do the wheel bearings as well if their age is unknown. Once the shock/hub assembly is out it is a simple matter to change the wheel bearings. If you don't have a press or access to one you can take the hubs and new bearings to most machine shops and they can press the bearings for a nominal fee.

Mike
ammonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
I would get the new strut mount and strut bearings.

Porsche Shock Mount Bearing Plate Kit Front Upper 996 997 986 987 Boxster | eBay

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote